Stupid Question time

MLeake

Can a regular or long slide/barrel 1911 assembly be mated with a Commander frame? If so, are reliability problems likely?

hogcowboy

There are no stupid questions when it comes to guns. Not asking a question is stupid.

I have a Kimber. I was told by Kimber that I could not do it. I don't know if it makes any different per manufacture or not. Someone here will surely have a better more complete answer than mine.

dcody40

Try it you might like it !

Swap the slide and barrel, install the slide stop and see if the slide matches the rear of the frame, insure your getting enough lockup with the barrel link/locking lugs on the barrel/frame, then function check the gun, if all is well, test fire it just like any new unknown gun, 1 round in the mag, if this functions correctly, lockback and good ejection, then try two rounds, and so on, every gun is different. I have seen some setups like this, the only question is why do you want to do this, a smaller and shorter gun has it's purpose, putting a full size/length slide on top kind of defeats the smaller handgun purpose.
If everything fits, and functions correctly, then go for it, You will know if somethings not right. It may be fine but would just look different around the slide dust shield area.
Let us know how it works out and if it looks fairly good, send us some pics.

enjoy and stay safe.

Duane USN/ret..

scottl

Full size and Commander frames are different lengths in the front rail and dust cover area.Commanders are shorter.

vladan

Full size and Commander frames are different lengths in the front rail and dust cover area.Commanders are shorter.

Correct. But - there is many"commander" size gun built on full size (government) size frame.

The genuine commander frame have 0.085" front end of rails and spring guide seat shoulder closer to slide stop pin hole. This require slightly different shape of lower barrel lugs to create space for the spring guide.
Now, if you put the full size top on commander frame, when the barrel and slide goes to battery, the barrel lower lugs will contact the spring guide and push it out to the dustcover slightly. That MIGHT result in incomplete lock-up because the spring now rests on the barrel lugs instead on frame.

But as I said, if your Commander is in fact clone built on full size frame you can swap the slides with no problem. Also some of newer barrels have the same lower lugs profile for full size and commander size barrels because of simplicity of manufacturing and modern materials advance.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Not what you are asking but when I had both a Commander and an Officer's ACP, I tried putting the Commander slide on the Officer's ACP. I think it fitted and there weren't any alarming gaps but I never tried to fire it.

Sgt Pepper

In fact, Colt has offered a Officer-slide-on-Commander-frame model and called it the "Commando," "Combat Commando," or some variation thereof, i.e. short barrel, fuller grip.