Stupid question regarding LCP Crimson Trace laser re-zeroing.

LockedBreech

Sorry to waste y'alls time with this, I'm sure the answer is really obvious but I can't think of it.

I was replacing the battery in my Crimson Trace laser grip for my Ruger LCP .380 (the one that came with it must have been a cheapo, it ran out really quickly), and in the process of figuring out which screws to unscrew to get to the battery compartment I turned the elevation/lateral orientation screws.

Now I have a beautiful, bright laser, but it is hilariously canted (if I followed the laser, my shots would miss the bad guy by about three feet.)

So, it makes sense to me to take the gun out, shoot using the (hah!) iron sights on the LCP, and realign the laser accordingly. The issue is, what if the shots I use to measure how "off" the laser is are poorly aimed shots? Is there an exact science and/or miracle cure, or is it just a process of continually putting lead downrange and making slight adjustments until it feels more or less spot-on?

Thank you for your time.

stickhauler

I'd try to find a bore sight in .380, aim it at a point where you assume your effective firing range would be, and adjust the laser accordingly. Then fine adjust it from there. I can't say I've seen one in .380, but I haven't looked for one either.
They make them that are kinda like a round of ammo, and they aren't very expensive, maybe 10 bucks or around that price.

PIGMAN

It sounds like in the process of changing the battery the laser shifted in the grip.My best advice is to contact crimson trace at the following link:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Support/tabid/146/Default.aspx

I am shure they will be able to resolve your issue.Crimson Trace grips are a quality product and you can also expect quality service after the sale from them.

Otherwise if you turned the elevation and windage screws just re-sight it in.

Last edited:

stickhauler

Pigman, he said he turned the adjusting screws, it didn't shift on it's own. I don't know about the LCP version of the laser, but mine on an XD has both an elevation and deflection adjustment screw. That's why I suggested a bore sight, and readjusting the laser to where it lined up with that.

scorpion_tyr

I've always just picked a good SD distance, and adjusted the laser until it fell right behind the front sight during a good sight picture. That'll get you close enough.

stickhauler

That would work as well, I wouldn't trust that little cannon being very accurate beyond 20 feet. You might well send rounds addressed "to whom it may concern" but it ain't much of a bulls-eye shooter much past that point.

rantingredneck

You'd be surprised how accurate the LCP can be.

DSC02815.jpg

IIRC, that was at 10 yds.

I've kept 4 out of 6 on an 8" paper plate at 25 yds free handed, before I got the laser.

Not a bullseye shooter, but not exactly to whom it may concern.

To the OP......

Pick an aiming point at 7-10 yds away align the laser so it sits right on top of your front sight while taking a good sight picture and you'll be good to go.

jaydubya

Pick an aiming point at 7-10 yds away align the laser so it sits right on top of your front sight while taking a good sight picture and you'll be good to go.

+1. I periodically do this with the three handguns I have with Crimson Trace grips. They have never shifted.

I'm puzzled as to how you could have messed up your zero by accidentally twisting the sight adjustment screws when removing the grips to replace the battery. The sights on my three CT grips are adjusted by a superthin allen head wrench, really just a hank of wire with a 90 degree crink at one end. Again on my three, the grips are fastened by phillips head screws which are located in or near the middle of each grip. Apples and oranges.

Cordially, Jack

Glockman

laser adjustment.

Warning, the instructions that come with the Crimson trace laser were written by some techno-geek not a gun guy. The last 12 rifle scopes that you sighted-in had a dial labeled "up" or "right" Those tell you the direction that the bullet hole will move with that adjustment. The crimson trace is exactly backwards. Use large paper up close and see where it hits. If your hits are (for example) far left. follow the directions that tell you what to do to move the laser dot to the left to meet the bullet hole.. There are no clicks, so your unit of adjustment is a Half turn, or full turn, or quarter tern as needed. sight in for 30 or 50 feet.

spanishjames

jaydubya
The LCP lasergrips use an allen wrench both for adjustment of the laser, and installation of the laser grip.

Lawscholar
You don't have to shoot the gun to align the laser. You simply adjust the laser pointer to the same spot as your iron sights. Point your iron sights on the target bullseye, and turn on the laser, they should line up more or less exactly. If not, adjust the laser accordingly. Once the laser is lined up with the iron sights, take your shot. If you're missing by three feet, it's your shooting skills that needs honing. Just remember the LCP isn't a target pistol, so don't feel bad if you're a bad shot past five yards. The laser only helps aquire the target, but it cannot control your breathing, trigger pull, stance, shot placement, etc.

When I first got the LCP I couldn't hit anything at seven yards or so (the minimum distance allowed at the range I go to), until I read up as much as I could about using iron sights properly, and breathing an so on. I did a little better with practice and patience. When I got the CT laser grips, I got a wake up call when I saw how with even a little hand shake, the shots were all over the place. The laser should help your shot placement.

Let us know how it goes, and happy shooting.:)

Deja vu

thats weird that it shifted. I have never had that happen. That said using a bore sight works very well. I usually adjust my CT laser that way. The local gun shop here will adjust it to a bore sight for free if you buy a box of ammo.

Mobuck

The piece has sights on it. Simply adjust the laser dot to match the sights and it will fairly close to POI. None of my pistols with CT grips align the laser exactly with the sight picture especially at close range but it's close enough to start.