Stupid new guy question

STEVE M

I am new to deer hunting and was wandering exactly how you 'tag' a deer? do you safety pin the paper tag on the skin or what?

BadMedicine

Basically any way you want. Some states have regulations that say that the tag must be either attached to an antler or an ear, but many states don't care. As long as the completed tag is attached somehow. We take a small twine and tie the tag to the antler. If it's a doe (and you don't want it mounted) you can cut a small slit in the ear and tie the string&tag through there. If you do want to mount it, you can tie it to a leg. Check your state regs, and good luck.

jbgood

BadMedicine offers some good advice. You might also consider checking with some of your local sporting goods dealers. Some stores carry small re-usable, sealable plastic tag holders that are attached to the animal with a wire twist. They protect the tag from blood and other elements and are the most convenient method I have found for tagging an animal.

bergie

We use plastic wire ties, you know those zip ties that you stick one end through the little one-way block on the other end. Here in NE the part of the tag that must be attached to the deer is a strip about 1 1/2" wide and 8" long, with a hole in one end. After notching or marking it we stick the tag through the hole, wrap the tag around an antler or leg and then the zip tie around it. I'v seen guys use string and even baling wire (this is farm country) to attach the tag. Just make sure that everyting on the tag is filled out correctly before you check it in.
bergie

LoneStar

I generally carry a dozen or so black zip-straps. Good for tagging deer (around the antler, or pierce an ear), strapping branches together for a quick stand, fixing fences, all kinds of stuff

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Here in Md, most folks tie on a tag by piercing the skin between the leg bone and tendon above the "knee" on a rear leg, then running a string, trash tie, or wire through. No way to lose it,and if it's mountable, no damage to repair.....