stupid m1a stock question

Willie Lowman

What is the use of this?

Springfield-Armory-M1A-buttplate-300x200.jpg

It seems to be a (dare I say it?) shoulder thing... that goes up.

No really, what is it for?

MoGas1341

To caveat off of Slamfire's response as to the use with full auto, also from the prone with a bipod equipped so your left hand can be placed on the comb of the stock to put weight on it so it digs in and stays put in your shoulder...

Jo6pak

My nephew asked me that same question about my M1A.

I told him it was a nut cracker. You simply place the nut between the hinged plate and the buttstock and smack the rifle on the ground.:D

He gave me a sidelong look and simply replied...."Bull$h1+"
Smart kid:cool:

Willie Lowman

MoGas1341 said:
also from the prone with a bipod equipped so your left hand can be placed on the comb of the stock to put weight on it so it digs in and stays put in your shoulder

Now that makes sense. I just didn't understand a device like that being needed on a .308 rifle even one in full auto. I have not seen a shoulder thing that goes up on other battle rifles FAL, G3, SCAR-H, etc.

----------------

Jo6pak, smart kid indeed!

wogpotter

Its the shape of the butt plate that makes it needed. That blunt checkered flat as a board thing will slide down as the rifle torques up in full auto.

*edited to make sense*
The G3, FAL & so on have the more user friendly barrel on the bottom arrangement as well so climb is reduced by design.

Last edited:

Willie Lowman

That makes even more sense. Except the G3 doesn't have a gas piston it is a roller delayed blow back action. The tube on the top is for the cocking lever. But being built in the same shape as the guns with the gas piston on top it would have a similar relation between bore being over or under the comb of the stock. (I know there is a name for that but I don't know it)

44 AMP

Staff
You will see something very similar on some models of the BAR.

The intent is as others have said, to aid in keeping the butt on your shoulder during full auto fire. I have occasionally found it useful (but not necessary) shooting semi auto.

you can also slip it under the epaulet of a field jacket, and the butt won't slide off your shoulder to the side. Not something needed in civilian life, or not very often, anyway.

Willie Lowman

44 AMP, that's funny that you said it is on some models of the BAR. I finally got to handle/shoot a BAR last year at the SOMGS. After reviewing the video of me shooting aforementioned BAR, there was in fact a S.T.T.G.U. (shoulder thing that goes up :D) on it's stock. I didn't use it. I had been shooting my friend's dealer-sample G3 most of the afternoon so the BAR seemed like a big heavy cream puff.

Next question. What is that part actually called?

James K

Member In Memoriam
The G3, FAL, M16 and the like have a more straight stock with a pistol grip, so they don't tend to climb as much as the M14 in full auto fire.

(Any firearm tends to rotate around its center of gravity when fired, due to recoil. The closer the recoil line is to the center of gravity, the less the firearm muzzle rises.)

Jim

tahunua001

it's to store a cleaning kit in. some people use it to store firestarters, lighters, matches, space blankets, ponchos, bandaids and other survival stuff in but it's original purpose is for a cleaning kit. M14s have the same trapdoor kit which is where that little "traditional" getup comes from.

wogpotter

'Fraid not.
The oval thing in the butt plate stores the cleaning kit. (called a door)there's a double drilled pair of tubes below it the cleaning kit fits into.

The "Carolyn McCarthy commemorative Shoulder thing that goes up barrel shroud" is what we're talking about here.

USMCGrunt

The M-14 was designed to replace many different weapons in inventory to include the M1 Garand, BAR and M3 SMG. When fired in the prone position off the M2 bipod, the shoulder rest was used to keep it on the shoulder rather than slipping down as fired. Same thing you see on todays M-249 as well as the M-60 machine gun. The FN-FALO as well as the Israeli HB FAL also use a shoulder rest for same reasons.