Stupid Does...

Zen Archery

I'm never a fan of using target/match ammo on hogs.
But it's a .264 bullet traveling 2700+ FPS
H O R R I B L E R E S U L T S !!!!
Click Here For Video

6Np6onpl.jpg

jmr40

Sorry, but that doesn't prove anything either way. I've seen way too many dead animals that have fallen to match bullets. The ELD-M's haven't been around long enough to have earned a reputation either way, but I've seen several other reports from others claiming it is a BETTER hunting bullet than the ELD-X. Especially on larger game. The ELD-X expands more than a lot of guys like and doesn't give the penetration they want.

The Sierra Matchkings do have a poor reputation when used for hunting, but several others are proving to be very good.

There are lots of guys reporting excellent results with Lapua Scenar match bullets when used on game. Berger makes both hunting and match bullets. Reports I've seen indicate that these may be the deadliest hunting bullets out there.

Don Fischer

I believe you could give me any match bullet you want and I can kill anything with it, no problem. But I get to choose the shot and if I don't get the shot I want, I don't shoot. So go home empty handed or get ate, if it's a dangerous animal. I think it was in here where I read about the world record Grizzly bear. It was shot by a woman using a single shot RF 22 longs! Saw a photo of what was supposed to be the rifle, pretty bad shape. But of everything that could have gone wrong, nothing did! She knew what she had and she knew how to use it.

Choosing bullet's to shoot game or anything for that matter, I like a bullet designed just for that, lot's of choices out there, up to you to choose them! I never consider any match bullet for big game. Coyote and down the rules change, match bullet's then work fine!

T. O'Heir

Target/match ammo is not made for hunting anything but varmints. A hog is too big to be considered a varmint. Even a little Javelina.
"...shot by a woman using a single shot RF 22 longs..." She wasn't hunting.

Don Fischer

Does it matter? She shot and killed the world record grizzly Bear and she didn't seem to be attacked. Souded like one shot and down with a bunch of finisher's!

hooligan1

Theres some that use the Amax bullet for game and claim they work well.
I use hunting bullets for hunting and target bullets for shooting paper, but I dont waste time worrying aboit other people using target bullets for hunting.....no time for that...

turkeestalker

Match ammo on a hog... or self defense hollow point pistol ammo out of a Blackhawk on a whitetail.... they may work, but neither one is a good idea... just sayin. :eek:

joed

I always get a laugh at these threads.

Q:The mentality of what bullet should I use?

A:Why one of the heaviest match bullets with the highest BC you can find. One look at the Hornady sight and the target under application tells you what to use it for.

SpAGzexl.jpg

jackstrawIII

Let me just say, wow.

As someone who hunts whitetails in the northeastern woods and has never shot more than once at the same animal, this sort of lead-slinging gung-ho hunting is really foreign to me. Looks sort of fun though, I guess.

Looks like the lesson is to shoot the piggies with a real bullet. If I ever get the chance to hunt them, I'll bear that in mind.

Wyosmith

Zen, is it possible to stalk and shoot them, like you would whitetails?
I know you would not pile them up like the land owners like, but I was wondering if you have hunted them in that manor. I bet it would be fun. I have hunting many animals over 54 years, in several states and a few countries, but I have never hunted wild pigs, so I don't know much about it.