Stumbled on a gem today

ScotchMan

Went into my LGS and noticed a new Smith in the case, a used Model 65-3 .357 with 3" barrel, Pachmyr grips. I checked it out, and it appeared to be in great shape. Locks up solid, no play anywhere, no signs of flame cutting. It's been fired but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a box or two of ammo.

I hadn't been previously familiar with the 65, since I don't think it is in production at the moment. But it appears to be a stainless K-frame in .357., with combat sites. Apparently the 3" barrel length is rarer as well. I really like the combat-style sites over the usual adjustable rear. And of course it is the first Smith I've owned without the infernal lock. The only thing I may have changed is a full length underlug, but I can live without that.

Gun was marked at $529 but I walked out with it on a trade. Whether I was on the good side of that trade I'm unsure, but I walked in with a gun I didn't want, and left with one I did, so I'm happy. I think the $529 was a decent price, especially in today's market.

4CPWw8f.jpg

ptBP72y.jpg

33uypSK.jpg

PetahW

About 15 years ago, when my Uncle, a retired US Marine, told me he wanted a HD/SD revolver for his new FL home, I went down there & took him to a gunshop/range that rented handguns & sold reloads.

I had him "try" 3 or 4 different autoloaders and 4 different revolvers - all major brand names in excellent "used" condition.

Since we were "buying", the funshop only cheaged us the rental fee for a single handgun instead of 8 - but we paid for the ammo.

Of them all, my Uncle selected an M-65 Smith, just like yours - except that I gifted him a set of Crimson trace grips for it.

They were/ARE excellent revolvers, well worth having - a gem, indeed.

That sighting setup, BTW, is usually referred to by S&W as "fixed sights".

Joe_Pike

I've got a model 13 with a 3" barrel (the blued version of the 65) and a model 65 with a 3" barrel. I paid $275 for the 13 about four years ago and $359 for the 65 about two years ago. I thought those were both pretty darn good deals at the time.

The 3" K frames have just about the right balance. Enjoy.

Last edited:

hootey

Carried a 4" 65 for years. My Lt. had a 3" model he was very proud of. Always qualified expert in the aim fire or the combat range for years. I do miss it:(. You got a heck of a buy :D. Congradulations.

JimmyR

My fiance keeps the Model 19 I bought for $400 by the bed. The first time she fired it, she decided it was going to be hers. She doesn't carry, but she does keep it next to the bed in case there is a bump in the night, especially if I am at work.

Obambulate

The 3" M65 is in high demand. They are considered utter perfection in a fighting revolver. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

Blade37db

You did good. I paid $575 for one that came with the original wood grips, box & papers....and that was 3 years ago. It was one of my "holy grail" guns, and I was thrilled to find one locally.