STUCK!!!

Don P

You can try this, loosen the jam nut that holds the decaping pin so it drops down into the case, then using a punch the same size or a little smaller tap the top of the decaping pin and try to dislodge the case. If this does not work you will have to look on Mid-Ways site and look for the tool set up specifically made for this purpose.

I've used the RCBS type twice (same as the homemade type) and both times it just tore the head off the case:

stuck223.jpg

Two things I failed to do that might well have saved the day:

One is submerge the die in Kroil or other penetrating oil for a week.

Two is to drill and tap the case, then freeze the die overnight before applying the tool. Brass has a larger linear coefficient of expansion than steel, so it shrinks more during freezing.

Never tried the Forster type, so I don't know how it compares?

Last edited:

jpyrogen

My method is to heat the dia and brass using a blow torch. then immediately stick into the freezer for 3 hours. mount die ont the press and tap out with a small screwdriver and hammer. lightly tapping of course. hasnt failed me yet

Dave P

Good luck hammering on the decapper - it might work - surprise us! Never worked for me, just destroyed the pin assy.

You can pretty easily make your own stuck case remover. I had some details around here somewhere ...

jepp2

You didn't mention the manufacturer of the die. Some will remove the stuck case for you if you send it back to them....

isanchez2008

Ive used the Hornady stuck case remover more than I care to admit. It has worked great for .223remington. It is different from the RCBS die because you don't twist an allen wrench. You pull the case straight out on your press.

eddy615

I have new RCBS dies that will work with the RCBS stuck case remover 2. and it did a great job. actually glad it happened so now i know how to remove it and have the equipment to do it. All you do is use a pulling nut to get the sizer ball out of the die and then use a punch to hammer the case back out.

Doby45

I just had a 223 stick in my Hornady sizing die this weekend. I picked this one case up and thought it was lubed and it wasn't. I actually used the next size smaller shell holder from Lee and as I moved the ram up I canted the die just a bit (using a breech lock press minus the bushing) and then used a small pair of channel locks to press the base of the case into the smaller shell holder. Slowly lowered the ram and the case came right out. It was a number 3 shell holder.

RBrush

Well I thought it was just me that did this. My 30-06 die has had a case stuck more times than I can count until I did some cleaning. I backed the bullet seater out as far as possible. I went to the local auto parts store and bought an inexpensive slam hammer dent puller with the little tapered screw on the end. Drilled an 1/8 in hole in the primer pocket. Lined my vise with an old chunk ot thick leather and clamped my sizing die in it. Screwed the slam hammer into it and with a consistant backwards blow of the hammer. Pulled the brass out with no damage. I have learned that carb and choke once in awhile in the die has helped eliminate the problem. Just wipe the die out with a lint free rag. I had also bought 1200 grit polishing compound and very lightly polished the inside once with a cotton tipped dremel. Its amazing what a diffrence it made.

GeauxTide

I stuck a case for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My old set of dies was 30 years old and the Removers were half the cost of a brand new set, so I bought a brand new set. I have the stuck case/die hanging above my bench to remind me to lube properly.

eddy615

I am actually glad that my case got stuck so i know how to get it out now. and as far as the case remover it was $10.00 and now i dont need to buy a new set of dies every time i get a case stuck.

troy_mclure

i got a .204 ruger case out with an easy-out.

i pulled the head off a .270 case, and ended up scratching the die chiseling it uot.

if the head is gone id try sending it back to the manufacturer and let them push it out.

jmorris

You didn’t say what die you have but with a Dillon die you just remove the spring clip and with a wrench run the decapper down and back out. Takes about 30 seconds and the die stays in the press.
With a Lee you loosen the collet and with a 3/16” punch tap the decapper out of the die remove the case and reinstall.

If you have other dies you either need to make sure your lube and application methods are 100% or get one of the two size dies above for your bottle neck cases.