stuck pin

308Loader

So the wife dry fired my jc higgens 12ga and the pin is now stuck. it is sticking way out from the bolt face. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Should I just bring it to the gun shop.

Pahoo

Might be dirty

I'm guessing it's a bolt-action and most pins are meant to rebound. It could be stuck in some dirt or gunk. I would spray some WD-40 into the hole and "gently" push it back. If that doesn't get it and you are not comfortable with taking it apart, then take it to a smith. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

308Loader

jc higgins model 20. my dads old shotgun. Was showing her how to rack in a round from empty. she thought the trigger was the right button. Snap cap never had a chance to cycle in, glad I triple checked it was unloaded. My fault for not being a good teacher I guess.

Lavan

I would lightly ....tap.... it with a small hammer.

And instead of WD-40, I'd soak it in gas, thinner, or acetone.
THEN I'd lube it. Knowing WD-40 is not a lube.

308Loader

how do I break down the shotgun to remove and soak the bolt. I have looked on the web and cant find takedown instructions.

SIGSHR

Yes, a good soaking-for a week or so. Let chemistry do the work. You did not mention how much the gun had been fired, I wonder if perhaps the firing pin hole has been peened, or the pin has been deformed. And perhaps the spring has quit.

308Loader

The gun has been on active pheasant, duck, and grouse duty for as long as I can remember, 30yrs or so. Liked it so much I bought one for my self from a pawn shop 15yrs ago. Smoothest action ever. Dads shot great as of last fall.

HiBC

I assume it is the bolt action shotgun others have suggested.

I do not know the particulars of the gun.Never worked on one.

Your question here suggests you are not 100% sure what is going on.Thats OK,I don't know,either.

But I can tell you this:If the firing pin sticks forward 1)Now or 2)Maybe again sometime later,perhaps when your wife is shooting it, (caps for emphasis)
ITS DANGEROUS!

Your stuck firing pin becomes a fixed firing pin.

As the shell seats in the chamber when you push the bolt forward,the stuck/fixed firing pin is in contact with the primer.

It may well fire before the bolt handle is turned down,which is before the bolt is locked.

It might be very bad to be holding the bolt,or have your face behind the receiver.

I suggest a good gunsmith.Please do not allow this to go forward as an intermittent problem.

308Loader

Thanks everyone. Found the tube video on disassembly . The innards were filthy!! Tooth brush and rem wipes and some elbow grease seems good as new. the pin is again free floating. Function checked with snap cap all is good.

Last edited:

308Loader

Thanks for the manual. It would seem that I have a broken firing pin. The front of the pin moves freely with no movement in back. According to the diagram it should be one piece held back with a spring. The pin did strike the snap cap and go back in, but something seems wrong. can parts be ordered for this old shotgun? or is it time to hang it on the wall.

Last edited:

JWT

Google the firing pin and you'll find a number of sources. Wisnersin.com is one site listing the firing pin.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, as JWT said, there are many parts suppliers, especially for these, since High Standard made a bunch of guns for different businesses, but Sears was the largest, who owned the JC Higgins name.

I'd try Numrich first, and the others if they don't have it.