Stuck 6.8 SPC case

Oberg

Good Day,
I was full lenght sizing new silver state 6.8 mm brass last night in a Lyman die and using Hornady one shot and I had the case rim bend and the shell holder slip off. And it is in there good! I took of the top of the die and still couldn't the the case to push out. So I was wondering how to get this out. And perhaps why it got stuck in the first place so I don't do this again. Made the snow storm very boring with no rounds to play with. It is a new die new shell holder and new cases.
Thanks

wncchester

"So I was wondering how to get this out. And perhaps why it got stuck in the first place so I don't do this again."

One, get a stuck case remover. The RCBS is most popular and it's easy to use.

Two, you had insufficent case lube. Lube your cases better. Especially near the head, that's where they stick. And shake the can to mix the components well. And repeat it while you work. (spray propellant is a lousy case lube!)

Three, learn to feel the pressure needed to enter the sizer. If it's taking more than normal pressure, remove and lube the case again.

hodaka

First thing you should do is throw away the One Shot before you do this again. I, like others here, have had similar experiences with this product. Others will disagree though. I only use Imperial sizing wax now. Steel and brass have different expansion rates with heat and cold so putting the whole mess in the oven (or freezer) then tapping may work for you. I have gotten cases out with the proper sized punch and a big hammer. You can always send it back to Lyman. Good luck.

I have used 50/50 anhydrous lanolin - castor oil for both bullet swaging and resizing for decades with zero problems. Lanolin is the lube of choice for swaging because it is tolerable of extremely high pressures. You must keep your work area super clean as well as your hands if you are to keep your dies in pristine condition.

I trust that this will help you.

joneb

I did that once reloading .308 Win, I use RCBC case lube and thought I could get by lubing every other case :eek: that broke one of my reloading rules "be consistent" I drilled out the primer pocket and tapped it 1/4x 20 I found a nut that the shell could pass threw and a couple of appropriate sized washers and a 1/4x20 bolt, it worked well. Now I lube every case and haven't stuck one since.

cgaengineer

If you can screw out the depriming pin/rod and find a SMOOTH screwdrive that fits into the hole you can drive it out...the problem with this is you can damage the neck size insert if it wont come out. Some dies have two steps, a larger and then the rod...if the large portion will come out you are all set.

If you are not comfortable driving it out RCBS will remove them for free.

Gun 4 Fun

There is absolutely nothing wrong with One Shot, you just didn't use enough. I've had only two stuck cases ever in 30 years of reloading, both were lubed using a lube pad and liquid lube. It wasn't the lubes fault, it was mine. I simply didn't get enough lube on al the cases. When using One Shot, spray the cases from all four sides with a light spray, making sure some goes inside the case mouth, and down around the case heads or "bases". Blaming One Shot for a persons own failure to do the job correctly make no sense.;)

Shoney

Here is what you need to remove the stuck case, and instructions on how to use it.

13/64" drill bit to drill out flash hole

1/4" Tap to tap the inside of the flash hole

1/2" Socket (1/4" drive) goes up against die and allows stuck case to be pulled into it

1/4" x 1 1/2" Washer on top of socket (keeps bolt from gouging the top of the socket)

1/4" x 1" Machine bolt goes into threaded flash hole and is turned to pull case out
If you need extra insurance, get the setup ready, leave the die in the feezer over night, then pull.

rrp

stuck case

I too will never use one shot on my larger cases. I use it on my .17, 223,and 204, but not on anything larger. I find that the larger cases have to be nearly dripping with the stuff or they are harder to size or will get stuck.