Struggle finding grips for Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertable

Rothdel

Having a fit here.

I love Rugers and have many single and double action revolvers of theirs and love them all.

I recently purchased the 45 LC/45 ACP convertible Black hawk.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0463.html

I really do not like the black composite grips that come with this gun. I have ordered a couple sets of grips and none fit. Never had an issue with other blackhawks before and have owned several. Is there something I'm missing?

tipoc

Ruger has made Blackhawks with different grip frame sizes and configurations over the years. Fortunately for you there have not been many different ones.

First thing to do is to identify the size and type grip frame you have.

If it's a new gun that will be easy. The product code(and proper name of the gun) is on the box and you can call Ruger and ask them what type grip frames they are currently using.

If it's a used gun post a couple of clear pics of the gun and the grip frame with the grips removed from the gun and maybe folks here can help. Either way pics help. Owners occasionally swap out grip frames on guns to one that better suit their tastes.

tipoc

44 AMP

Staff
Who's grips, and are you sure they sent you the right ones?? Also, by "don't fit" do you mean they won't go on the gun at all? or that they do, but the grip edges don't match the frame well??

Are the locator pin holes in the right place??

I got my first Blackhawk in 83 the .45 convertible, have gotten several others since, never had problems with replacing the grips on any of them, but then, I replaced the wood with Pachmayr rubber.

I don't THINK Ruger has changed their grip frame size recently, but anything is possible, though it is more likely that aftermarket grip makers got something a little wrong, especially if they are "el cheapo" grips.

The usual grip frame for the Blackhawk is called XR-3 Red (no idea why) there have been others.
Good luck!

DPris

Member Emeritus
You'd need to define what you mean by none fitting.

If you mean none fit WELL, that's Ruger doing small variations in gripframe dimensions from gun to gun.

If you mean none fit at all, that's another matter.
Denis

tipoc

On the grip frame size...if it's a new gun it's simple. But if used; there are XR-3 grip frames, XR3-Red frames, SBH frames, Bisley frames, New Vaquero, Old Vaquero, etc. as well as aftermarket brass, steel and aluminum.

A pic could help as well as new or used piece. And as asked what does the OP mean by "not fitting" exactly?

tipoc

Rothdel

Its a new gun purchased about 6 months ago. I don't have pictures handy but will provide (assuming I can figure out how to do it). The gun came with the thing black plastic grips.

By not fitting I have seen several things......

I purchased grips from Houge that I have used on other Blackhawks and those physically would not slot onto the gun. Either the top of the frame would accommodate the grips or the pin but not both. No amount of forcing would allow the grips to go on. I tried the marker trick and from what I could tell i would either be relocating the pin hole or removing a substantial amount of material from the top of the grips.

I also ordered a pair from Chigsgrips (have used both companies many times before) Same deal although his grips I could get to fit but the fit was awful all the way around with fairly large gaps. I put them on another blackhawk (15+ years old) and they fit like they were made for it (which they kinda were).

Chigsgrips adorn most of my Rugers from the SP101 to all my blackhawks. This is the only one I can't seem to fit correctly.

DPris

Member Emeritus
You're apparently ordering the wrong grips for your frame.
Call both companies & describe how new your gun is, exactly which model, and what the problem is.

Work it out with them.
Denis

Pahoo

Yep, it an be a rat race !!!

I have recently encountered the same problem and one difference it the "New Model" versus the "old model. Yours is the New Model Blackhawk and was told that these should fit the New Model Single-sixes. Wound up with more grips than I had planned on including the Super-Blackhawks. Some of the grips I bought were labeled Blackhawk and some were sold as such but not labeled. I finally settled on a set of Pachmayers. Almont Grips will have what you are looking for. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

tipoc

I purchased grips from Houge that I have used on other Blackhawks and those physically would not slot onto the gun. Either the top of the frame would accommodate the grips or the pin but not both. No amount of forcing would allow the grips to go on...

I also ordered a pair from Chigsgrips (have used both companies many times before) Same deal although his grips I could get to fit but the fit was awful all the way around with fairly large gaps.

As Dpris said, looks like you are ordering the wrong grips for the gun.

So what is the name of the gun as stamped on the gun itself? What does it say?

On the box what is the model number?

You mentioned that you ordered stocks that you have used before on other guns but they won't fit these ones. Compare those guns to the new one and tell us why they won't fit. What's the difference between the guns?

Take the gun back to where you got it and ask if you can try on a set of grips there. Or go to another gunatorium or gunsmith and ask.

Without out more information I'm not sure how we can help here.

tipoc

walnut1704

I have a stainless .357/9mm convertible. I have tried grips for every listed grip type and none fit. I mean "can't get them on" not "just a little sloppy".

I even called Ruger, they took my serial number and looked up the work order for my specific gun. They told me I had the KXR 00300 frame. Which should have matched one of the three grips I bought.

In researching this I've found 42,367 threads about problems with fitting grips to Ruger SA's.

Last Ruger SA I buy, I'm not doing this again. I'm going to convert it to a Bisley.

Pahoo

I've got Ruger grips for but not sure what they fit !!

Forgot to add that in my futile searches, I drew an outline of my existing grips and took it to LGSs and GSs. One dealer even loaned" me a set of grips that he had and if they worked, I would pay his asking price. if not just brig them back. They were beautiful grips but once again, I struck out. ..... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

Bob Wright

Revised Text!

Cary Chapman, of CLC grips, has demonstrated grip sizes thus:

Draw a 3" square on a piece of paper. Place the heel of the grip in one corner, with the butt along the bottom of the square. If the panel fits within that 3" square, its the XR-3RED grip panel. If it falls short of the side side of the square, its the XR-3 grip panel. If the grip panel extends above and beyond the 3" square, its a Super Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

Last edited:

Salmoneye

I tried the marker trick and from what I could tell i would either be relocating the pin hole or removing a substantial amount of material from the top of the grips.

I'm guessing that the gun you have is one of the short run 'Flat Tops'...It was a Lipsey's special, and has the old style smaller (flat top) gun frame, and smaller grip frame...

I believe the size you are looking for is the XR-3 (if you indeed have the smaller flat top convertible)...

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Laz

+1 to what Salmoneye said. If it is a "flattop", it is a medium framed revolver which takes an XR-3 grip. If it is regular (larger-frame) Blackhawk with raised "ears" on either side of the rear sight, it takes XR-3 RED (redesigned) grips. They are slightly bigger.

Also, Flattops on the medium frame (XR-3 grips) have a 3 digit prefix to the serial number. Standard Blackhawks on the large frame (XR-3 RED grips) have a 2 digit serial number prefix.

Last edited:

BlkHawk73

I don't THINK Ruger has changed their grip frame size recently, but anything is possible, though it is more likely that aftermarket grip makers got something a little wrong, especially if they are "el cheapo" grips.

The usual grip frame for the Blackhawk is called XR-3 Red (no idea why) there have been others.

They changed them for some models when they introduced the 50th Ann model and have used the same grip frame on the New Vaqueros and other BH flattops since then. Basically a return to the XR3 was had been REDesigned and dubbed XR3-RED.

tipoc

The XR3-Red has been around for decades. They may have returned to it for some guns.

It will say on the grip frame what size it is. Or at least they used to.

tipoc

Bob Wright

The original grip frame for Ruger Single Actions was the XR-3. This was later opened up a little to provide more room behind the trigger guard. Supposedly the XR-3RED stood for "redesigned."

Incidentally the grips for the original XR-3 grip frame and current XR-3 (New Model) grip frame are not interchangeable. Same size, but locating pin is located differently, and the raised boss near the top of the grip is non-existant on current grip frames.

Bob Wright

rodfac

The diagrams that Bob posted are what you need. If still confused take your original grips, remove one from the gun and zerox it. Send that copy with your order to your grip maker....

BTW, making your own is not that difficult. A thread search will turn up good info on the process. Grip screws and escutcheons, plus the combined countersink and drill needed to install them can be had from Brownells. In brief, you fit the cross pin hole first (a tip I got from Cary C, the grip maker), then the top angle, then sand and carve to the outline, followed by contouring. An electric drill, half round files and sandpaper are all you need.

In the 1st pic below, you can see the drilled hole for the cross pin, the blackened (abominal) internal lock outline that must be mortised, the already completed top angle, and the scribed outline of the grip frame.

In the 2nd pic, a trio of completed grips.

In lieu of all of the above, Cary C of CLC grips makes some of the best crafted grips on the market. You can't go wrong ordering from him....

(Cary C, thanks for the tips a cpl years ago. I ended up making a half dozen pairs for self and family, here in KY. Great fun. Dave

HTH's, Rod

Last edited:

hdbiker

Ruger grips

I replaced the wood grips on my Single Six .22 convertible, Black Hawk .357, and Super Black Hawk .44 with rubber Pachmayr Presentation grips.They work well for me. hdbiker