Stripped upper and lower set.

Polinese

Who makes a good stripped upper and lower receiver set, that also actually has some in stock. Seems like most ar parts have been sold out all over the place for quite a while.

DasGuy

This is one place where it's really hard to go wrong. A reciever is a reciever.

I have a set from DPMS and a set from Aero Precision. No complaints with either.

Are you looking for a standard forged reciever or billet?

Polinese

Was looking at forged. After I posted I found the blemished ones on PSA... upper and lower for the price of one pretty much.

djcantr

Polinese said:
Was looking at forged. After I posted I found the blemished ones on PSA... upper and lower for the price of one pretty much.

I bought four blemished stripped lowers from PSA. Two I can't find blemishes on. The other two have such small blemishes on them that I'd likely ding them more than that the first time shooting them or even during assembly. I ordered a couple blemished stripped uppers yesterday. They're hard to beat for the price. Good choice.

DASHZNT

Please tell me where you bought the uppers from... i would like to get started on my upper project and i gotta start somewhere and sometime!!

DASHZNT

madcratebuilder

I don't agree with the "reciever is a receiver" statement. Lets set aside the forged vs billet and look at forged 7075 receiver sets. The most obvious differences are in the finish. Three types of finish used are:

Hardcoat Anodize, or "Hard anodic coating" this is called "MIL-A-8625, Type III, Class 1 or Class 2" This anodic coating has a thickness 0.002” ± 0.0002, it has a dye added for the finish color.

Sulfuric Anodize, this is "MIL-A-8625 Type II, Class 1 or Class 2". This is a Anodic film on aluminum, dye is used for color.

Hardcoat Anodize w/Teflon this is "MIL-A-63576, Type I"

Type II = Sulfuric Acid Anodize
Type III = Sulfuric Acid Hardcoat Anodize
Class 1 = Non-dyed Coatings
Class 2 = Dyed Coatings (color to be specified)

Everything today is Class 2, dye added. Type III well cost a bit more as well the Teflon additive.

Manufacturers should list the type and class of finish.

The added dye is the reason we see different finish colors.

Now lets add lowers that can except ambi controls or 45* safety selectors. Compare mag well bevels.

Even more difference with billet receiver sets.

A "receiver is a receiver" is not always a receiver.;)