Stripped scope mounting hole

onlybrowning

Today I was changing the bases on my A bolt medallion and I stripped one of the base mounting holes. I am wondering if when a gunsmith drill and taps it, will I just have him drill out the base as well? Also, would you suggest having all 4 holes done? I am thinking if one stripped, are the other 3 about to, and also that way all 4 will be the same size.

James K

Member In Memoriam
You don't mention the caliber, but for any rifle with heavy recoil, I think the best thing to do, if the holes are the standard 6x48, is to drill out all four holes and tap for 8x40 screws, which will generally be better anyway. They are available from Brownells, along with the drills and taps. That way the holes will all be the same size and the outfit will look better. The mount may have to be drilled also, but that is no problem.

The stripped hole can be welded up and redrilled, but unless the welder is very good, he could make things worse. On anything larger than a .22 RF, I would not suggest anything like super glues or JB weld as neither will hold well and the mount will really be depending on three screws.

Jim

T. O'Heir

"...are the other 3 about to..." Not necessarily nor likely. I'd still have 'em all done though for the very reason you're thinking.