Stripped lower

Marquezj16

I think I'm finally going to do my first Ar15 build. this will most likely be a 20" rifle to simulate a M16.

The LGS offerings are DPMS for $109 and M&P 15 for $130. Are those a good price?

I'm also going to the gun show today to look for a stripped lower. What are some brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

deadeye1122

wait awhile. PSA has a sale every 3 months or so lowers at 50 bucks plus 7 for shiping. have built 3 and all run great. there uppers are great also.

Marquezj16

Will I ran late today reloading some 45s so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get to the gunshow. Hopefully I don't run too late at the range.

I have thought about building the whole thing out of PSA parts. If I do then I will wait until their strip lower goes on sale and get their 20" rifle kit.

If I find a stripped lower at the gunshow tomorrow, then I will probably go with a DD lower kit, an A2 buttstock from PSA and get a BCM upper assembly.

CTS

Not trying to get in your business but, an upper is just as easy, actually easier to build than the lower. If you have an upper receiver vice block and a barrel wrench you are GTG. If not, you can pick them up for about $50.00.

Marquezj16

I thought about building the upper, but I would have to get a bench vise and then the other tools. And once I have those, it would make it too easy to want to build more. I think once I get the lower then I'll revisit that thought.
Thanks.

CTS

I thought about building the upper, but I would have to get a bench vise and then the other tools. And once I have those, it would make it too easy to want to build more.
I hear you. It really is a disease.

gizmo688

I thought about building the upper, but I would have to get a bench vise and then the other tools.

A bench vise can be replaced by a table or workbench and one of those rubber gripped hand tightened vise things (i cant for the life of me remember what they are called right now). I had 2 of them laying around, so I didnt see the need to get a vise.

As for the tools... you're right lol

Marquezj16

Going to range first then to gunshow. Looking for lower and parts kit so an a2 buttstock. Will only buy if they are better price than PSA.

blacksky

MARQUEZJ16

I think I'm finally going to do my first Ar15 build. this will most likely be a 20" rifle to simulate a M16.

You've seen some of my builds using S&W, Aero Precision and CMMG, uppers and lowers. Never used Palmetto Pride but have heard excellent comments on their quality!

After building my first stripped lower, then building a stripped upper, when the 2 went together and the rifle ran perfect, I had a true sense of pride in my work! Build it it's so much more satifing! :D

As for any special tools you'll need these, if you don't already have them. This will make the build go smooth and stress free.

9pc Punch Set
AR Armourers Multi-Tool Wrench
Spanner Wrench
Stock Wrench
Torque Wrench
Alllen Wrench Set
Snap Ring Plyers
Needle Nose Plyers
Vise Grips
Hobby Hammer
Screw drivers
"Go" Headspace Gauge
"No Go" Headspace Gauge
AR15 Upper and Lower Vise Block Kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310152/promag-armorers-upper-and-lower-receiver-action-block-set-ar-15?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing+-+AR-15+Furniture+and+Accessories-_-PriceCompListing-_-310152

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J57W4xz6Uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUtg_sUsA0

Good luck with your build! :)

It has been said if you can sharpen a pencil you can assemble an AR

Last edited:

CTS

Not to be argumentative but, what are you going to do with the headspace guages? There is nothing you can do to adjust the headspace. Just buy a matched barrel and bolt set and don't give it another thought.
Also, my armourers wrench includes the barrel wrench and stock spanner (which you won't need anyway if going with A2 stock).

Last edited:

Marquezj16

Thanks blacksky. I'll go through all the videos before actually starting with my build. I figured I need at least the multi tool wrench.

I'm just going to do the lower first. I figure I can build that and test it using my uppers, if all goes well, look to build a 20" rifle upper.

blacksky

Not to be argumentative but, what are you going to do with the headspace guages?

Not to be argumentative but, what are you going to do with the headspace guages?

Slappy coming from you I find this statement more than strange. :eek:

I'm not firing any rifle until I check the headspace, matched set or not!

Last edited:

blacksky

Slappy...

Also, my armourers wrench includes the barrel wrench and stock spanner (which you won't need anyway if going with A2 stock).

Don't get me wrong I have an armorers wrech that is all in one and one of the newer DPMS wrenches. Good to have them in case you need them. I myself like specific tools for the job at hand. I've been known to improvise when needed many times in my life, as we all have. :)

blacksky

Thanks blacksky. I'll go through all the videos before actually starting with my buil

You'll find such videos on youtube, some good some bad. These are very professional IMO... :cool:

Happy building... :)

CTS

Slappy coming from you I find this statement more than strange.
I guess I don't know what you mean. Have you ever built one that the headspace wasn't right within spec? What would you have done if it wasn't? Keep buying bolts until you found one that was? If I trust someone enough to buy a barrel and bolt set from, I trust them to have actually checked the headspace on it like they said they would.

Marquezj16

Did not find a stripped lower at the gunshow. The last Spikes was sold as I was looking at the others. Most of the others I found were above the price tag I was willing to pay locally.

Last edited:

blacksky

No harm no foul?

Slappy... I trust them to have actually checked the headspace on it like they said they would.

This goes back to my father, he always said not to trust anyone else's work when you have the option to check it yourself...
A rule I have lived by for 50 + years. :)