Striker Fired?

NYPD13

Can and should striker fired systems be classified into the three types of actions as hammer fired pistols? I ask since I feel this would clarify and more accurately describe how a particular model trigger handles and feels. For example:
>Single Action Striker - Short trigger pull only trips the sear releasing the striker which is under full tension from racking the slide.(Springfield Armory XDM)
>Double (dual) Action Striker - Short trigger pull releases the fully tensioned striker yet is capable of cocking and releasing the striker in the case of a misfire.(Taurus 24/7 series)
>Double Action Only Striker - Racking the slide sets the trigger and striker which is under partial tension requiring a longer pull to finish cocking and release the striker.(Glock series)
Or am I being excessively meticulous?

chris in va

Short trigger pull only trips the sear releasing the striker which is under full tension from racking the slide.(Springfield Armory XDM)

IIRC the striker is partially tensioned, and the trigger pulls it back to the release point, ala Glock.

PSP

I agree with the first two.

Calling Glock and Kahr DAO is a misnomer IMHO. DAO infers a second strike by pulling the trigger again as in your "Double (dual) Action Striker". These actions are more similar to the "Single Action Striker" in that the trigger does only one thing and has no reset or cocking ability.

As it stands, striker actions fall into only these two catagories. Single action requires an outside force to cock the striker and the trigger releases it. Then there's the double action striker where the trigger acts both as a single action or also has the ability to recock with a longer trigger pull.

44 AMP

Staff
The term "Double Action" referred originally to the fact that the trigger did two jobs, cocking the hammer and releasing it. The fact that a DA revolver could be fired two ways (DA & SA) went a long way to confusing issue, leading many to think DA referred to how the gun could be fired, not what the trigger did.

DAO is a correct term, sort of. Again, referring to what the trigger does. IF you are referring to how the gun is fired, then a DAO would actually be a single action, as there is only one way to fire the gun. (ain't this fun?:D)

Striker fired guns...well, I guess you can define them in as many ways as you want, bearing in mind that what a manufacturer calls a system might be for marketing purposes more than descriptive accuracy.

I would say that if the trigger cocks (or finishes cocking) and releases the striker (as the revolver does the hammer) then calling it a DA would be accurate. IF it does not do both, then it is a single action trigger.

A single action trigger with a repeat strike capacity fits in neither category properly. I would consider it a single action, as it only functions as a single action trigger, unless the gun misfires (malfunction). The "normal" use would be single action, so if I had to put it somewhere, that's where I would put it.

Skans

Can and should striker fired systems be classified into the three types of actions as hammer fired pistols?

No, they shouldn't. A striker fired pistol is too different from a single action pistol, single action/double action, or double action pistol to be lumped in with them. Most of the striker fired pistols use the trigger to perform several functions - not simply release the striker. I suppose some of the cheaper striker pistols like Jennings, Lorcin, etc. could be classified as single action, since the trigger just depresses the sear which releases the striker.....but, its still nothing like any hammer fired single action.

Last edited: