striker fired vs the old hammer

rsxr22

SA/DA for me!!! im a 22 yr old criminal justice major getting ready to graduate and i got into pistols about 3 yrs ago and everything had to be a glock lol. Once my horizon broadened a little bit though, i was introduced to the HK line and now i dont know how i will possibly use anything differently when i graduate and get into law enforcement.
I still have 3 glocks and i love them but the SA trigger pull is soo much smoother and i feel more comfortable carrying my HK P2ksk SA/DA in DA on my first shot then i felt carrying my g36, but just my opinion

chris in va

My first CC gun was an XD, didn't care for the mush trigger pull. Everything since has been SA/DA with hammer...until recently when I picked up a Kahr K9. I'm frankly amazed at the simplicity in function...point, pull, same trigger every time. No safeties or gadgets.

Clevinger

Completely indifferent.

I like individual guns based on their reliability, durability, etc. Whether they are striker fired or have a hammer makes no difference to me. I have both types.

Kyo

hammer. because I want to be able to cock it with my hand, I like the DA/SA pull for the first shot, and it makes me feel better knowing that I have an external heavy hammer coming down on the firing pin instead of a striker that I can't see. Idk why

Hunley

It's all personal preference. It really depends on the platform and what safety features are available on the gun. With the exception of a 1911, I wouldn't really care for a hammered semi without a decocker.

dcobler

Im jumping on the striker band wagon as well. Sorry, just like em. Hammers are fine, fun to shoot too. I just like strikers more---for now....

pilpens

I used to like hammer fired only thinking that the trigger on striker fired pistols will not be as smooth or clean breaking.
My HK USP is expensive and has a rough DA and creepy SA.
My Walther P99 has better trigger DA smooth and SA clean.
Best SA I have tried so far is on a 1911.
For carry, either one - hammer or striker as long as it is decock.
Carrying cocked and locked still makes me feel nervous.

Last edited:

l8apex

I like both and own both. Started with DA/SA & 1911. I'm a strong proponent of learning the DA/SA or DAO configurations along side the striker / SAO platforms. Being able to proficiently handle the DA/SA & DAO is almost like learning to drive a manual shift car. Yes it's a little harder to learn at first, but once you learn it, you can drive any car. Or in this case, shoot any pistol well.