Striker-fire choices: Make mine Steyr.

Cyanide971

512fc23b4aad88b7309a6d21bb0dfbfd.jpg

To preface this, I must admit that in my 24 years dealing with pistols I prefer a hammer-fired pistol and that will be that. Moving forward now.

My first venture into the realm of striker fire pistols was like a lot of other people: Glock. I started with a Gen 3 19 and shot it well enough, then bought a Gen 4 26. Like many others, I had my gripes and knew that Glock was in no way, shape, or form the be all, end all. And though I do like them, would have absolutely no issue carrying one, and admire them for their success (regardless of how they achieved it), I no longer own any and don't see having one again anytime soon, if ever.

Along the way I've added Walthers, Ruger, Taurus (all sold/selling), and have repeatedly shot multiple M&P's and XD's. I've handled the new Sig P320 and HK VP-9 every chance I get. I know that handling and dry firing a pistol can only tell you so much, but it tells me enough, and I don't see anything on those two that jumps out at me screaming, "I'm better! Buy me!" They just don't do it for me for one reason or another. Enough said.

Now onto my story...

A good friend owns a Steyr and suggested I check them out. Easier said than done since they aren't well-stocked at most places but, I did as much digging around the web gathering info between reviews and actual talk throughout the various forums. Found it interesting reading in several places how Wilhelm Bubits had a hand in the original Glock design, then later on had a few design improvements that apparently Gaston did not like. So whatever happened, happened, Wilhelm's ideas ended up at Steyr, and the rest is history.

As luck would have it, I happened to find an original 1st generation M9 at a gun store along a route I was driving awhile back. I immediately put it side by side with a Glock 19 for comparison. Then came the moment of truth, and I was hooked....
d1825b45f670ce8f3736aabad4a22c6a.jpg

Immediately I noticed a much better natural point-of-aim and balance in hand, no doubt due to the simplest of changes; a slightly less aggressive grip angle and a slimmer, narrower grip. Then there were the trapezoid sights, a lighter-feeling, smoother trigger with a much shorter travel, and an easier field-stripping technique.

So my search began for an improved newer generation model (the "-A1" designation) and within a week I had found a used C9-A1 at another gun store along my route. After messing with it beside another G19, it went on layaway and my 19 was easily sold off a few days later to fund the remaining balance. Oh, and buy lots of ammo.
fabf92e10b57eff61a8618abc068549a.jpg

Almost 2 years and over 2k rounds fired later, and it's still going strong. Aside from an initial issue I had with the original 15-rd mag springs being weak and not reliably locking the slide back following the last shot (17-rd mags perform flawlessly), I've had zero issues with it, or the compact S9-A1.

Why I prefer the Steyr over the competition:

Ergonomics
It may look funky to some, but it has a grip angle that reminds me of holding an old P-08 Luger. The controls are also easy for me to reach and operate. The pistol sits very deep in your hand, and the backstrap & beavertail area provide a lot of real estate to balance the pistol out and protect from any possible slide bite. *Glock is shown since it has the least amount of backstrap area of pistols I've owned, short of putting on the extended beavertail insert on the Gen 4.

Also, whereas other manufacturers' subcompact pistols have extremely short grips that only allow for two fingers with the pinky wrapped under the magazine barring an extension, the Steyr S-A1 has just enough real estate to get a full hand wrap (unless you have giant bear paws). Based on it's width I don't know if I'd ever call it a true subcompact, but it does work for me in a deep concealment role.
e24239d999551a677ba2233af7accd67.jpg

Trigger
Hands down, this is the best striker-fire trigger on the market to me. It has an extremely short travel of 4mm that is smooth and makes it's pull weight feel lighter than it is (mine both register around 5.2#).

I personally prefer the trigger safety design on the Steyr over the majority of it's peers. Whereas Glocks, PPQ's, XD's, SR's have a hinged, pivot safety lever, Steyr uses a plunger style safety. Think of it as a miniature 1911 trigger that pulls straight back to disengage.
fbf2c00b70c59448c6c99bb21dbb7c81.jpg

Sights
Steel, and with a very unique, yet effective trapezoidal design which really draws your eyes to your target, especially up close at shorter ranges. There's also traditional 3-dot sights available (comes with a red front sight dot), and tritium 3-dots also.

Disassembly
d9acf799ada9cca8c1971d899e1d9548.jpg

Ensure the pistol is clear, dry fire to release the sear, then push in the internal lock button with your finger, then simultaneously rotate the takedown lever and you're done.

CC'ing
The Steyr grip angle lends itself well to concealment, especially the compact S/S-A1 models IWB. Me personally, I will take a slightly thicker slide yet a slimmer grip, and yes, the Steyr slide is beefy, as you can see from the pictures.
Have no fear however, there are several companies that make quality, Steyr-specific holsters for them.

Now, for things I think that Steyr could improve upon:

Trigger
Improve the reset. Those who want a very hard, positive reset will be disappointed, as it is very soft and faint.

Compact Magazine
Redesign it minus the huge plastic spacer on the bottom portion and squeeze in another couple of rounds.

Grip Texture
Roughen it up with some aggressive stippling from the factory. Think of it as the same feel on a Gen 3 Glock.

Front Slide Serrations
The new L-A1 has them, so it'd be nice to see them offered on at least the newer M-A1 and C-A1 models.

Caliber Availability
Make it in a .45 ACP variant for fans of that caliber.

Last edited:

WVsig

Nice write up. I gave up on Steyr years ago not because they were terrible pistols but they had no market presence and no support. I had a S40 that had frame damage that took them over a year to replace. This was back before they had Steyr USA as their importer.

I had a M9, S9 and S40 all now sold. They has a nice cult following at one point. The original guns also had some issues. They had a weird trigger lock located on the top of the trigger guard area and in some of the early gen one pistols it would engage. IIRC this "feature" was gone by the -A1 guns. Also hated the key lock near the pivot pin. Unneed and with the history of the other "lock" failures its presence always bothered me.

The grips angle is odd but it is comfortable. The sights were cool at first but I grew tired of them. I did not find the sight picture to be accurate for me. It might just have been that I am used to other setups.

I always liked the trigger and thought it had a great reset and was smooth. The guns shot great. I remember thinking of them back then as an improved Glock. They pointed naturally as you said and even the S40 was a smooth shooting controllable pistol. I carried mine in a nice High Noon slide guard holster off and on for about a year.

They were a great gun when they sold for under $300 NIB but as they have creeped up in price they become less attractive. All in all to me they were just too odd ball.

I would have kept them except that they lost their importer 3 times in like 5 years before setting up Steyr USA and often had no parts or warranty support. I sold mine to people like you who loved them and moved on. I am glad to hear that people are discovering them again. I have not seen a NIB one for quiet a while.

Cyanide971

I won't disagree with you concerning the sights; if I want pinpoint accuracy I prefer 3-dot sights but, for 10 yards and in I prefer the traps.

As for large chain stores, Cabela's seem to almost always have them, and occasionally Gander Mountain, but at a much higher price; $480 vs $600+ [emoji15]

Thank you for the kind words. I think if Steyr would market these harder and with stronger aftermarket accessories and support, they could realistically be a major player. But it's hard to establish any large-scale following when nobody knows about you!

Worc

I see them in stock quite a bit but, usually in .40 with the 9mm's sold out. I know quite few guys with current M-A1's in both 9 and 40 and they are all very accurate guns.

The few things that I think would make the Steyr's even better would be.. A more tactile reset, a little palm swell to each side of the grips, and replaceable/adjustable back straps. Even though I like the grip and so does everyone that I've seen hold one, adjustability is a nice feature.

Here are my reviews on my L9-A1.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544642
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5818146#post5818146

Dirty_Harry

I have always wanted to try one of these. Unfortunately I would literally have to buy it and have it shipped first as no gun store near me stocks them.

AustinTX

Thanks for the thorough, informative write-up!

Cabela's seem to almost always have them, and occasionally Gander Mountain, but at a much higher price; $480 vs $600+

How does Gander Mountain ever move a single firearm? That place is ridiculous.

WVsig

Thank you for the kind words. I think if Steyr would market these harder and with stronger aftermarket accessories and support, they could realistically be a major player. But it's hard to establish any large-scale following when nobody knows about you!

This has always been their problem and not just with the pistols. People begged and pleaded for years for a US made Stery AUG but they could not get their act together until the clone makers hit the market and by the time they got the US AUG into production it lost a lot of momentum.

They have never gotten their act together IMHO. Steyr Arms is just not up to the task vs people like Glock, SA & S&W and in the niche markets are being killed by guns like the PPQ.

If you look at the website the link to the current catalog links to a PDF from 2010 and the price list in the header says 2011 and pulls up a doc from 2009.

Again it is sad because the product is pretty good. I personally think they need to start offering different sights from the factory. More people would give them a chance with standard 3 dots. I also think they need to get the guns down to Glock prices. $450 -$500. You are not going to beat them if you cannot be price competitive. IMHO

How does Gander Mountain ever move a single firearm? That place is ridiculous.

Sometimes they have great deals on used guns. I picked up a few when I lived in VA. They were few and far between but still great deals. Got a Dan Wesson CBOB LNIB for under $800 back when Dan Wesson meant revolver. Beretta 84fs Nickel LNIB for $325. I actually think I bought one of my Steyrs there when they price matched CDNN for me. :eek: But on the whole you are right they are over priced on almost everything gun wise.

Cyanide971

I picked up my C9-A1 with the extra 17-rd mag, shipped & transferred $485 out the door. I had been eyeballing the S9-A1 @ Cabela's for awhile (they sell any new Steyr for $480 daily), and waited until the pre-Thanksgiving sale last year. Stole it for $470 shipped/transferred lol.

SpareMag

Steyrs are underappreciated in this country. Got hooked with the Steyr GB, one of the great 9mms!

Then I discovered the M series and have an M9a1 and M40a1.

Great write-up!

Dirty_Harry

Not in K-Zoo but, only 50 miles away in the GR area.

http://barracks616.com/ Have them at times

http://www.silverbulletfirearms.com/ Usually has assorted models in stock.

Then there is also Cabela's and Gander Mountain (GunWorld) in Grandville to name a few.

Do either have them available to rent? Thanks for the heads up. I am in Grand Rapids often.

Also, to the OP, have you tried an FN FNS yet? I think it is the most underrated striker out there.

Worc

Dirty_Harry wrote:Do either have them available to rent? Thanks for the heads up. I am in Grand Rapids often.
Also, to the OP, have you tried an FN FNS yet? I think it is the most underrated striker out there.

Not sure though, they both have a lot of different rentals to choose from.

I rank the FNS as one of the better strikers right above the M&P and under the PPQ/P99, Steyr's, Sig 320, and HK VP-9.

AustinTX

Has FN USA addressed all of the many problems their poly line-up was having some time back? It will be a while before I could trust something from FN USA, honestly.

Pond James Pond

This thread makes me want to revisit my choice 2 and a half years ago when I bought a used G19 instead of a new Steyr.

Yes, the glock was a lot cheaper, but still, the Steyr compact is still under the counter glass at my local shop!!

OK,I may not be selling the CZ I have now, but I'd love to try shooting one!!

Cyanide971

...I may not be selling the CZ I have now, but I'd love to try shooting one!!
James, if you told me I could only have one other pistol to compliment my Steyr and it had to be hammer fired, it would be a very easy decision.... CZ P-01.

briandg

I apprediate the article and it's good. Best writeup I've seen in a long time.

If I had seen one of them, I wouldn't have given it a second glance because it looks like it would never have fit my hands right. maybe I'm wrong.
just bought a G19, my first and only striker fired handgun. I really hate striker fired, and had the opportunity to test a lot of them. I bought the glock only because of ergonomics. That and a springfield model pointed well, and I have drilled with it until I have callouses. I've only fired a few hundred through it so far, but i'm well satisfied with it.

I will someday go back to hammer fired when I find the right one. I would even rather carry my DA revolvers than the glock, but concealability is the issue.

The best handgun I have ever owned was my Hi power. I believe that the CZ DA/sa hammered model, whichever that may have been, I can't recall at the moment, would have been a great compromise for myself.