Street-race crash kills 7 in crowd

copenhagen

ACCOKEEK, Maryland (AP) -- A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch a street race on a suburban road early Saturday, killing seven people and injuring at least four, police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/16/drag.race.deaths.ap/index.html

MAYBE WE NEED MORE CAR CONTROL!
Where are the Brady's now outlawing cars and requiring us all to rely on public transportation? Why is no one making a stink out of this like they did the tragedy in Illinois?

That's a very popular spot for drag racing in this area.

Last year I was leaving a friend's house and got caught up in the after effects of a very nasty accident caused by drag racing in Manassas, Virginia.

Young girl ended up killing, IIRC, the driver of the car she hit as well as the passenger in her car, her brother.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
That'll teach them gawkers to stand on the side of the road to watch a street race! The spot used in daytona beach for illegal money runs luckily did not have "spectator shoulder parking" room. I ain't gonna knock any one who does things unsafe or illegal as I would be a hypocrite! I had my "sleeper" ready to receive the big money motor and trans when the movie "the fast and the furious" debuted and literally threw up my hands and said "well that movie ruins that plan..." Sure enuff less than 4-6 weeks later the fuzz was hard charging a way of life that was otherwise "don't ask don't brag and don't invite the cops to the race."
All the mostly young guys met up at the home depot next to burger king and bets were made races set up and every one running or recon rolled to the spot. I sold out my new parts than my 78 Malibu piece by piece having never gotten the chance to run for the money...
Street racing is like poaching... laws are in place and folks shouldn't shoot deer in town or race where UNINVOLVED innocent folks can get hurt. The ones killed in this crash were at least guilty of a few minor charges as INVOLVED participants...
Brent

Forwardassist

I don't see the humor in this thread. The Brady group would love gun ownership to be similar to owning a car in the US. Imagine mandatory gun education, taking a test for a license, restricted licensing, registration of all guns, and expensive insurance before owning a gun. Nice. :barf:

divemedic

I don't see the humor in this thread. The Brady group would love gun ownership to be similar to owning a car in the US. Imagine mandatory gun education, taking a test for a license, restricted licensing, registration of all guns, and expensive insurance before owning a gun.

Actually, I would LOVE gun laws to be the same as the laws to buy a car. You don't need a license, education, registration, or insurance to OWN a car. You need those things to operate one on public roads. You can own all of the cars you want on your own property.

If guns were as unrestricted as cars, I could have whatever I wanted.

copenhagen

My only point by starting this thread was to point out that a car too, while not being designed to be a deadly weapon, can very well double as one rather intentionally or not. If somebody is going to go nuts, they can very easily do a good amount of damage with a vehicle, so why make guns harder to get than vehicles.

Marko Kloos

It is amazing how a few thousand gun deaths--half of which are suicides--are considered intolerable by the anti-gun crowd, and thirty thousand traffic deaths per year are considered the price of freedom.