Streamlining Your Firearms "Collection"

Moonglum

When I first started buying guns I bounced around a lot and bought a lot of different types of handguns in a lot of different calibers.

After a while I realized that it cost a lot of money to stock on different calibers of ammunition and different types of magazines and accessories and I decided that I needed to downsize my "collection" and concentrate on commonality.

So after a year of looking around and doing research and selling off guns I'm down to 2 M&Ps and my wife has an LC9 so at least we're only stocking one caliber of ammunition which is easier and cheaper to buy in bulk. I also kept my 4006 because I really like that gun but buying ammunition for it is low on the list of priorities.

I have 6 magazines each for the M&Ps, we're working on getting 6 magazines for the LC9 and going forward I'm going to invest in some X grips and( finances permitting) only buy FS magazines for the M&Ps and of course Ruger magazines for my wife. Not that we plan to have some huge number of magazines, IMO 12 per gun would be enough to last long past the end of our lifetime.

So, am I the only one that thinks this way or are others of you working on streamlining their firearms collection?

22-rimfire

My answer is simple. I don't buy ammunition (or only one box) for the ones I don't shoot when I have others. That one box of ammunition might sit for years before it's used. But I do tend to buy in certain calibers predominantly. I don't have any need for six magazines for a particular gun.

JC57

I am not working on streamlining. 3 to 4 magazines per semi-auto is enough for my needs, to cover range practice time and have a spare in case of need to replace a failed mag.

SEKLEM

I haven't expanded my range of calibers yet to have a reason to do this.

Currently I have a little 38 special and .357 magnum that don't have an avenue (which I will eventually rectify). The rest is 9mm and .45 ACP which I shoot both regularly.

The only other loads I could see adding would be 22LR, 44 specials & magnums if I end up with any of those. I'm pretty sure 22LR won't be the kind of ammo that will get stockpiled, it'll get spent as fast as I buy it. The 44 variants might only get stockpiled if I can pick em up for cheap, same goes for .357 magnum.

lamarw

No, but it could come to it when I get another 10 or 15 years older. It will depend upon health and longevity.

As far as ammunition, I reload and enjoy the variety of rounds and shells I reload. The one exception is the .32 ACP. I hate those little pieces of brass.

mavracer

I don't know if I'd have been better off with that philosophy or not as it sits now I have 1000+ rounds for several calibers and 6+ mags for several guns in said calibers. Matter of fact in the last yearish I've even added 40 s&w to the mix 2 guns 6 mags for the FNS and 8 for the P229, bought 500 rounds of FBI overrun ranger ammo and 500 rounds of FMJ and have already scrounged a couple hundred pieces of brass now I just need dies I have plenty of components as I load for 10mm.

hartcreek

Since I reload and cast it is NBD. Adding another caliber can only add $200 to the price of the gun and have 500-1000 rounds ready.

By having many calibers an ammo crunch did not hurt so much as long as I could get powder and primers to get the shot up brass eventually reloaded.

Cheapshooter

working on streamlining their firearms collection?

Hahahaha Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are!:D:D:D
Life with one caliber is way to boring for me!

buckhorn_cortez

No. I have handguns in the following calibers: .22, .38, .9mm, .41, .44 Special, .44 magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .460 S&W.

Part of the fun for me is shooting different types of guns in different calibers.

BigJimP

I think its smart to limit yourself a little bit in this handgun hobby...or you may waste a lot of money --- but I've still managed to accumulate over 25 handguns. But it is smart to figure out what you like the best ...and focus your collection in that way.

I limit myself on semi-auto to guns in .22, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 acp.../ although I could get rid of the .40 S&W guns ...because I think its an in between caliber. I have also limited myself to 1911's and Sig Sauers.

In revolvers - I limit myself to guns in .22, .357 Mag and .44 Mag...and all S&W in double action revolvers...and only Freedom Arms in single action.

So excluding other mfg's has helped me limit things...and keep the number of calibers at a manageable level - even though its still .22, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl and .357 Mag and .44 Mag....

If I want to "play" with other models, or other mfg's, I just go to a local range where they rent guns...and for the price of a few boxes of ammo, I can shoot a variety of guns that I choose not to own....or in calibers I don't want to dedicate money and time with. ( last week I shot some H&K models and FN models in 9mm and .40 S&W - just to educate myself on what those mfg's are doing these days...)....

buckhorn_cortez

I think its smart to limit yourself a little bit in this handgun hobby...or you may waste a lot of money

If your hobby is shooting, exactly HOW is having a number of different calibers wasting money? If you enjoy shooting, and want to shoot different guns, it's not a waste of money - it's called "enjoying your hobby."

Not all of use have access to a range that rents a variety of guns in various calibers.

reddog81

Streamline my collection... No thanks.

I shoot and reload for 10+ calibers and most are handguns. I cast bullets for half the rounds I reload.

I don't plan on buying any new calibers anytime soon but I did pick up a Colt New Service in 38-40 last week. I need to get out and shoot it, then figure out if I need to buy a new die set or if a mix of the current dies I own will handle reloading some rounds. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

ejfalvo

I streamlined to 45ACP a few years ago and then went to the short list - only SigP220 variants, and 1 SW 625-3. I just unloaded a few Sigs and kept a P220 Compact SAO, P245, and a non-railed P220 Carry. I realized that all the others just sat in the safe.

I do have a SW 686Plus which is in the bug out bag.

kilimanjaro

I only shoot one gun at a time, and the box of ammo that goes down range is going no matter what the caliber.

In handguns I do avoid new calibers, but I've got enough to where that is not really limiting my fun.

Rifles, I avoid the wildcat rounds, but anything else is fair game. That's what the reloading setup is for.

Cheapshooter

I'm not 100% certain but I think I just got called an old fart
I don't think age has anything to do with it. I bet I'm older than you, and there is no way I'm downsizing my collection. In fact it will most likely griw in calibers as I add a 9X25 Dillon barrel for my Glock 20, and who knows what T/C Contender barrels I might add to the five I already have. Then there's the 327 Federal Magnum that Ruger just added in the LCR line.

Deaf Smith

I 'streamline' my collection all the time.

But keep in mind folks, you can make something more 'streamlined' by making it longer.

Less may be more, but more can also be more.

Deaf

BigMikey76

Streamline? I'm still in the building stage! But yes, I do believe that streamlining is a good idea, at least for me. Maybe one day, when I have room to set up a workshop, and therefore a place to keep reloading equipment, I will feel differently, but for now, I plan to keep my calibers pretty selective. I have .22 and 9mm. That's all. I want to add a .357 to the mix, as well, but that's about it for now. Between.22, 9mm and .357/.38, I can't think of any bases that are not covered. I can get guns anywhere from light weight pocket carry for the summer all the way up to full sized beasts for hunting and never have to deal with extra calibers. I guess I just like simple.

tallball

To each his own. I have over a dozen handgun calibers. It's fun to shoot different things, and I can always find some kind of ammo for sale.

44 AMP

Staff
I have sold two S&W model 28s, a 1917 Savage, and a Broomhandle Mauser in the last couple years, that's about all the streamlining I want to do for a while. ;)

How many mags?? depends on what you think you need, and what you can get. I've got a couple pistols that getting 4 spares cost as much as another handgun! And that is IF you can find them.

I have SA revolvers, DA revolvers Semis and single shots multiple guns in some calibers, .22LR .32ACP, 9mm Luger, .38SPL, .357Mag, .357AMP, .44Mag, .44AMP, .45ACP, .45Colt, and .45WinMag.

And "handguns" in .30-30Win and .45-70.

I have, essentially stopped adding, does that count as streamlining?? :D