Straying Away Fom the J Frame Snubs

Dragline45

I carried a S&W J frame daily for over 3 years, one was a 3" model 60 in .357 with adjustable sights, the other was a DAO 640 in .38 special. I no longer own the model 60 and recently sold the 640 to put towards a Sig 232 in .380.

There's a few reasons why I sold all my J frames. The main reason is they are just not the easiest guns to shoot accurately. With alot of practice I became pretty proficient with them, but I still shoot just about any semi better than a snub. Next there is the limited capacity. If I only have 5 shots they better be accurate shots, and with the J frames I just couldn't pull of the degree of accuracy needed to feel safe with only 5 shots. Once again if I only have 5 shots I also want the ability to reload relatively quickly.

This is when I decided to change up my carry gun and go with the Sig 232 (which I still don't have yet but soon will). Now although the .38 Special may be a better round than the .380, which some consider the bottom of the totem pole for self defense, when the .38 is shot out of a snub both rounds are pretty equal. A typical J frames has a barrel length of 1 7/8 inches which results in alot of unburnt powder and the round not reaching it's full potential, throw in the cylinder gap which bleeds a good amount of energy you are looking at a very slight edge over the .380. My typical carry round in .38 was a 125gr or 130 gr at around 1100fps, out of a snub that round is lucky to hit 1000fps realistically. Now in the Sig 232 I get 7+1 of a 100gr round at over 1000fps out of a 3.6 inch barrel compared to the snubs 1 7/8 inches. The slight edge the .38 special round has over the .380 doesn't make up for the fact that I can shoot the Sig 232 with pinpoint accuracy, carry more rounds, and reload faster all in the same size package. The Sig also comes with night sights, there's really no reason I could justify to continue to carry the J frame.

jmortimer

I'm still liking the J frames. The .380 is a definite step down in power and some will take that compromise for an increase in firepower. No reason to rationalize your decision as the .380 market is growing faster than I can ever remember. What both calibers have in common is light weight and small size guns and for me every ounce counts.

Redhawk5.5+P+

I'm still liking the J frames.

That's me, I carry a 638 Bodygaurd with GDHP 135g +Ps always. Before I bought though I thought long and hard about .380 before I decided on the .38spl. TBS, if I want a pocket carriable semi, it's going to be a 9mm, EOS.

FYI, I have some .380 (Fiocchi FMJ) ammo just in case I change my mind.:D

shortwave

I'll stick with my J frames as well. If buying factory ammo, I can practice with .38 much cheaper then .380.
And agree, if I ever go to a summer carry, compact, semi-auto it will be in 9mm. I'll stick with the .45 in the winter.

Last edited:

Hiddenpiece

i like my j-frames too.... brazillian copies, but they carry/shoot the same. it's not a distance gun. i practice under 20ft. it shoots right where i want it to. everytime.

i have considered the lc9, but am quite happy with the .38.
maybe someday i'll make the switch.

AK103K

I still have a couple of J frames, but they mostly just get shot a couple of times a month to stay on top of them. They arent much fun to practice with when realistic ammo is used for that practice, something you need to do. Glock 26's have replaced them for actual use. Basically the same size as the J frames, but twice the on board ammo, good sights/night sights, and the ability to use larger model mags.

Ive had a couple of P230's, and still have one. They are great guns, although compared to others available these days, a little big for a .380. That size, a well designed, hand filling grip, and a DA trigger thats something to marvel at, make them a pleasure to shoot. Mine have always been accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot. I dont think youll be disappointed with the P232.

mrt949

I like revolvers over autos .Because they work all the time .You can load them hot or mild .Autos don't work 100% of the time ammo sensitive expensive to feed .But that's just me :D

Last edited:

AK103K

I like revolvers over autos .Because they work all the tine .
Dont bet the farm on that.

Ive had revolvers lock up on more than a few occasions, and generally when they do, youre done at that point. Theres usually no "TRB" to get them quickly going again. Youre pretty much SOL.

The rare few times Ive had an auto stop (that wasnt intentionally induced), they were quickly back in action with little effort.

I still consider my 042 to be my primary cary gun, but I have other revolvers and semis that also are frequently carried.

All in all, I still prefer the simplicity of the J frame.

mrt949

Small autos have a place in cc. just like revolvers do .Anything with moving parts will fail . If it does you have a rock .

Glenn E. Meyer

The J's are great, reliable pocket guns. I don't see the 232 as a pocket gun. If I wear a belt gun, there are better compact 9mm choices.

Like Mike, I'm a fan of the -42 line. Currently, a 642 - replaced a 442. I do have a fondness for my 432.

UtopiaTexasG19

"I've had revolvers lock up on more than a few occasions"

I've been shooting revolvers for over 45 years, own 16 at the present time, and have never had one "lock up". Guess I've just been lucky. My semi autos are another story.

Doug S

We make our choices, and we deal with the realities of those choices. I've found that generally, every choice has a pro and con, and we are just trading one set for another. With your choice of a semi-auto 380, you will now spend more time considering so-called "stopping power", less of an ammo selection and at a higher cost, most likely a less reliable firearm that is more sensitive to ammo selection when compared to the snubs coupled with not much more in the way of capacity, possible harder to conceal, etc. Maybe you will find those more acceptable than those of the snubs. Me, I like both, and i see viable application for both.

Last edited:

shortwave

I've been shooting revolvers for over 45 years, own 16 at the present time, and have never had one "lock up". Guess I've just been lucky. My semi autos are another story.

Although you've got about 5yrs more time in shooting then I, my experience's mirror that of yours. Just have not seen/had the amount of revolver issue's that I've seen with semi auto's. And I've shot a lot more revolvers then I have semi auto's.

barryhud

My experience was different than the original post. I am much more accurate with my LCR 38 than I am with my Colt 380 or my LCP 380. With the LCR I can hit a man sized torso at 25 yards and I am limited to half that distance with the 380s. I have never had a FTF with the LCR but many with the semis. My LCR now has a night sight. I have 7 CC guns from a Beretta 22short to a Glock 26, I have found the LCR 38 spec. to fit my program, but that is just me.

Dragline45

Why buy the Sig .380 when they now offer a 9mm the same size?

Ive had a couple of P230's, and still have one. They are great guns, although compared to others available these days, a little big for a .380.

The new 9mm you are thinking about that Sig offers is SAO, I really prefer DA/SA which is why I am going with the 232. As far as the 232 being big for a .380 If they made an all stainless single stack 9mm in DA/SA the size of the 232 I would be all over it. I really don't care for small plastic guns like the LCP. I never pocket carry so bumping down in size gives me no real advantage for my intended use. Throw in the fact that the .380 needs all the help it can get it makes more sense going with the 232 with its 3.6 inch barrel. I know there are plenty of small 9mm these days the same size as the 232 and lighter but like I said before I prefer DA/SA, and all these small plastic wonder 9's these days are all DAO or striker fired. I also have an SR9C so if I want to carry a compact 9mm I already have one, the 232 is still significantly smaller.

I have only been shooting 5 years and had a hammer pin on my model 60 snap while shooting and lock up the entire gun. Also on both of my J frames the extractor rod eventually came loose causing inconsistent trigger pull and a sticky cylinder. My model 60 with extensive heavy loads caused it to start going out of time and needed a trip to the factory since I was getting sprayed in the face with lead. I baby all my guns and don't abuse them, so it's not a result of abuse causing these problems. Revolvers can be more reliable, but they require a hell of alot more maintenance IMO.

Last edited:
The only time I ever had a revolver lock up was when I didn't charge a hand load.

I have had numerous issues with semi autos over the years though.

seeker_two

The SIG 230/232 series guns were designed back in the days when Europeans used the .380ACP as a service caliber, not for a pocket pistol. IMHO, the 230/232 is the most attractive of all the .380ACP service guns, much better-looking than the Berettas & Walthers. I've always wished SIG could have found a way to make it in 9x19 (delayed blowback, perhaps?).

The performance gap b/t .380ACP is growing smaller by the day. Not only is the .380 ammo getting better, but the .38SPL ammo is using lighter bullets and milder powder charges to make snubs easier to shoot. Compare a good .380 load to a 158gr +P SWCHP, and the difference is obvious. Switch the .38SPL load to a 110gr or 125gr non+P round, and there's not much difference.

If you're comfortable with your choice, go for it. You can't do wrong with a SIG like that. And post a few pics for us 230/232 fans out here. :D

Last edited: