Strange thing happened - Sig P245

jr24

So years ago I dumped all my Sigs as I decided I prefered Glock and SAO triggers and wanted to vonsolidate trigger types.

Then I get an offer for a nice shape Sig P245 for one of my spare Glock 19s and I figured "why not".

I've had it for a couple weeks and been to the range a few times and while it is accurate when I focus or use the SA trigger, that DA pull is tough. Figured, eh, and put it in the safe.

Later I decided to run some drills with it, double taps at varying ranges from the holster with movement and... Ill be darned if I wasn't dead on point shooting even with the DA pull.

I'm kinda debating on replacing my Kimber Ultra for carry, as it carries real nice and now I have the Sig bug. Got a line on a nice 229 for a decent deal that I'm strongly debating.

QUESTION: Hopefully a sig guy can help. I'm thinking it needs a new recoil spring and can only find some websites that say the Sig p239 spring works. Anyone know if this is true? If not, what recoil spring do I need.

I could send it in to Sig for their used gun package but $144 is pretty steep for a $10 spring, though new sights might be nice.

JDBerg

The Sig Sauer factory recoil spring (RSS-2394 / 1200977-R) fits the P239 in .40/357, your P245, and the SIGPRO in .40/357. Personally, I'd go with this $10 RS replacement before I shipped it off to the Sig Custom shop, although I might have it gone over eventually. Great pistol, no doubt I'd trade a spare G19 for one, and a P229 in favor of your Kimber in my opinion is a no-brainer. I wish I had a P245 myself!

Last edited:

jr24

Good, that was the one I wad gonna pick up from Midway. It does have a set of faded XS big dot sights that I'm debating replacing.

Back when I was into Sigs a P245 was my dream carry gun, but I could never find one. Now one falls in my lap, go figure.

Problem is that now I'm thinking a 220 or 227 carry might be needed, I always want a full size to pair the compact.

jr24

Well, crap.

I went ahead and got the Sig 229 I had on the line. Used, a little holster wear, night sights and the SRT trigger.

Man, wow, that thing shoots. One range trip and I can guarantee it will find time in my holster.

I still shoot my Glock 17 better but not by much, and the shorter barrel makes for more comfortable carry.

Ran a number of 5 round "failure to stop" drills (draw on move, 2 COM, move, 2 in the pelvis, head) and I am happy even with the DA first shot (which I need to practice a lot more).

I have been reconverted to a Sig fan again!

JDBerg

jr24: said:
I went ahead and got the Sig 229 I had on the line. Used, a little holster wear, night sights and the SRT trigger.

I think the SRT is the way to go, I have one on my M11-A1, wish I had it on my P228, but this one has a very nice trigger. I shoot these 2 better than my Glock 17, but my Glocks are all still good guns:)

Siggy-06

The Sig 229 os probably my favorite from their line up. It fits my hand really nicely and doesnt have the extra length of the 226. Used or CPO Sig's seem to be the way to go due to their new price being kinda high.

jr24

It does have the wraparound E2 grips which I don't really like. I know its the 229-1 wider frame.

Are there specific grips to look for?