Strange question about my Maverick 88

Doug S

This is a little hard to describe, but I have noticed a white film forms every week or so on the rearmost, upper corner of the piece of metal that is welded onto the front of the Maverick barrel (the piece that the takedown screw goes through). I wipe it off, and a number of days later the same white film is on the exact same place on the metal piece. I'm wondering if something might be leaching out of the weld? Is this possible? Has anyone noticed anything similar on their Mossberg? Any insight would be appreciated. It doesn't seem like a big problem. I wipe it off, and it goes away for a while. I just find it odd that it keeps coming back on the same spot, and is not seen anywhere else of the gun.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Might be some flux or something... Wiping would seem to eventually stop it... But I am not positive...

Brent

Doug S

Thanks hogdogs for the response. I kinda felt stupid asking such a strange question. It's just that it's come back 3 times now. The first couple of times I thought maybe I had got something on the gun, but I made sure to clean it and it's just been sitting for the last week, and I noticed it again today.

Last edited:

Doug S

Sorry, armoredman, I wiped it clean again before I thought about taking a picture. Maybe the next time, but it is just a white-ish film on the black metal. It is not solid white, but it is easily visible. Probably less than a cm in size.

Jim Watson

It sounds like residual bluing salts in the seam.
I'd just keep wiping, but the correct procedure is a hot water rinse.
Hot enough to dry itself, then oiled.

deputy tom

Doug, that part is called a barrel lug. It is soldered or welded into place. Bluing salts cause the white deposits you are experiencing. Follow Jim Watson's advice to correct this. tom.