Strange Magtech .223

Silvanus

I bought some Magtech 55 grs. FMJ ammo to feed my new AR15 (I'll post a range report soon ;) ) that looks kinda strange to me. Are these bullets seated correctly? All other .223 ammo I used so far didn't look like this... I don't have much experience with rifles other than my FAL yet, so I thought I'd rather ask some people who are more knowledgeable than me first, before I shoot this in my new rifle.

bigautomatic

There will always be some tolerances considered acceptable by manufacturers, especialy the bulk stuff. Slightly different seating depths, final bullet shape (which affects the seating depth), etc. The ones in the first pic look like average run of the mill, but the one in the second pic on the far right has a badly damaged cannelure. It may work okay, but I wouldn't take the chance.

triman5

Poor Quality Magtech .308 ammo

You may have a point. I am no ammo spec expert but I had issues with Magtech .308 150g FMJ in a brand new Howa varmint.

I bought 2 50 round boxes thinking I'd just grind some cheap rounds through the new rifle. They were so tight on opening and closing the bolt I could feel the bolt lugs galling in the action. Greased the lugs and seats, same thing. I thought at first it was the rifle. So, I bought 4 other grades of ammo and they all worked perfectly. It was the Magtech ammo.

The quality of the Magtech ammo was very poor (it did not group well either) and I will never use it again.