Strange M1 Carbine Ammo

Deaf Smith

I have a National Postal Meter M1 Carbine.

Got so old WW2 ammo, not sure if it is still safe to shoot in it.

Well rummaging through the ammo I found one case, WRA 42 cartridge head stamp, FMJ with two holes in the case on opposite sides 9/16th of an inch from the head of the cartridge. There is something in it, brown colored, and the round is primed. Brass colored case.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks,

Deaf

T. O'Heir

Sounds like a home made DP round. The stuff in it might just be mud. The bullet come out? Case is no good for shooting so you might want to disassemble it and reassemble when you take whatever it is out. Reloading is your friend.
No reason for W.W. II vintage ammo to be unsafe, but it might be too valuable. Best .303 stuff I ever shot was in the early 80's and it was DA 1944.

kilimanjaro

Someone drilled holes in the case and then plugged them, no way of knowing what, if anything, was placed inside.

Best thing to do is to disassemble the cartridge and recycle the scrap. I would not fire it, nor give it to anyone who might fire it.

Even if all it now contains is mud, detonating the primer in your M1 chamber may get you a squib round to make your day.

kraigwy

I have several of those cases, in several different calibers.

I made most of them. Cheaper then snap caps.

I'm a CMP MI and put on vintage rifle clinics. I like to keep these dummy rounds around for teaching loading procedures for different rifles in the classroom part of the class.

The holes in the case instantly identify them as dummy rounds.

Deaf Smith

Well the holes are in perfect alignment. And the primer has not been fired. I see no marks as for reloading. I doubt it was reloaded. The primer is rounded (old style) and not flat like new ones are.

Deaf