Strange EAR problem.

Lavan

I have VERY bad hearing. Gunshot induced from long long ago. (Tinnitus, of course and more damage, too.)
Had to get hearing aids 4 years ago.

I shoot my handguns VERY seldom now. And only 22.

But.... I took out the 10/22 carbine last week and got more damage. I can tell by the way it is.

The REPORT was subdued and fine.

However, the stock clacking against the muff shell was really something new.

Very unpleasant. Very light being it was a Ruger 10/22 with ...almost... no recoil but there was still a degree of bouncing.

And the CLACK CLACK CLACK of the stock hitting the muff shell was something I had not noticed before. I was also using my muffs that are relieved for rifle stock.

Since the report was so subdued, I think my new hearing issue is from that damned repeated stock contact.

Anyone else ever have the "Clacking stock" issue?

What did you do about it?

TIA.. :)

ballardw

Actually I would think that hearing the muffs contacting the stock now means that perhaps you have recovered some of your hearing, in that frequency range at least, and can now hear something that has been going on for a while.

Or is this the first time you used that pair of muffs?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I had an incident some years ago that resulted in a pretty bad hearing loss in my left ear. I noticed that ear was, strangely enough, especially sensitive to certain noises.

I would imagine that the same kind of thing is happening to you. For whatever reason, the hearing damage has caused unusual sensitivity to certain noises--for you, the stock clacking against your hearing protection.

In your position I would take the following steps to deal with the problem.

1. Take your hearing aid out on the affected ear before shooting.
2. Put in a foam ear plug in the affected ear.
3. Put a couple of layers of duct tape (some foam tape would be even better) on the hearing protector where the stock hits it.

dahermit

Actually I would think that hearing the muffs contacting the stock now means that perhaps you have recovered some of your hearing, in that frequency range at least, and can now hear something that has been going on for a while.

Or is this the first time you used that pair of muffs?
According to the hearing doctors I have consulted with other the years, the hearing loss caused by shooting can never be reversed...nerves do not regenerate. I doubt if his hearing has come back.

Being also afflicted by gun fire induced hearing loss, I now routinely wear foam ear plugs and ear muff protectors when shooting.

Lavan

Forgot to mention. I always remove the hearing aids.
I use both the custom neoprene plugs that the audiologist poured ....and.. the muffs.
I think I did mention that the muffs I used were the ones relieved for rifle and shotgun.
And they still make contact.

I am considering:

Adhesive backed foam strips on stock
and
Cutting AWAY the portion of the stock that touches the muffs. :eek:

Which of course would limit me to ONE gun. :(
unless of course I whacked all of them.

101combatvet

According to the hearing doctors I have consulted with other the years, the hearing loss caused by shooting can never be reversed...nerves do not regenerate. I doubt if his hearing has come back.

Being also afflicted by gun fire induced hearing loss, I now routinely wear foam ear plugs and ear muff protectors when shooting.
In most cases, you are correct. It also has to do with the cause of the hearing loss, and how fast you seek treatment, some hearing loss can be recovered.

pwc

Whdn I got my aides, I asked for a second set of ear molds be taken and given to me. They became my shooting earplugs. Better'n foam. I also use lo profile muffs. I do not shoot with my aides in.
Put 2 layers of moleskin on your stock at the cheek weld. Helps keep your "position", and it's warmer in the winter.

Erno86

In order to prevent the rifle or shotgun from hitting the ear muffs when you mount it to your shoulder: Don't just bring the long gun straight up to your shoulder pocket --- Instead, while your bringing it up to mount it --- Push the buttstock of the long gun straight outwards (1, 2, 3 or 4 inches?) level (perpendicular) from your shoulder pocket; then pull it straight in, so as to avoid hitting the muffs.

They sell some kind of bioflavonoid pills at drugstores at the vitamin booth, that claims to reduce the tinnitus sound in people's ears.

Last edited:

DaleA

Just throwing this out there but wouldn't it be better to put some kind of padding on the muffs rather than the rifle? I'm not sure you were serious about cutting down the rifle stock.

One nice/impressive thing about this site is that everyone here takes hearing protection seriously and almost always says they emphasize to new shooters that they must take care of their ears or face consequences.

Just adding an additional thought here...maybe some enterprising muff manufacturer will develope/implement some kind of shell on their muffs that DOESN'T result in the CLACK sound.

T. O'Heir

"...the "Clacking stock"..." It's usually the action opening and closing that your feeling more than hearing through your muffs. As daft as that sounds.
First noticed it myself, long ago, when shooting an M1 Rifle on a big open military range. Oddly, I never noticed it when shooting a C1A1(Cdn FAL).
However, if your muffs are touching the stock you really need to change how your holding the rifle. Or the muffs, like jmr40 says. There are lots of small profile ear defenders available. Do not carve on the stock.
"...Tinnitus..." I still think that's aliens trying to contact me. snicker.

Lavan

If cutting the stock is the only "fix" I'll do it..
Reluctantly and will try everything else.

I saw a shotgun in a gun mag once where the guy was right handed and had dominant left eye.

So he cut a HUGE section out of the stock so he could wrap his cheek way over and use the left eye. Also have seen offset stocks for trap.

I guess whatever works.

And it IS the stock clacking on the muff shell. Very easy to identify.
Goes away if I hold the stock away from everything.

Gotta keep shootin......:D

Twinsig

Lavan, FWIW I have some hearing loss and experience pain at those frequencies. my doc told me the pain is CAUSED by the loss...the REASON those frequencies are painful.

Hang in there man.

pwc

For the clacking....rubber insulation is sold for dipping tool handles into; you might try painting the back outside of your muff with this where the muff contacts the stock. Don't carve on the stock

jclayto

I had a similar experience. Shooting a 7" 5.56 SBR under a covered shelter, and even with muffs I damaged my hearing. Luckily, I can still hear pretty well, but certain frequencies cause my hearing to rattle similar to a blown stereo speaker. Oddly enough, them most common offended is the background noise of a crowded restaurant.

Mike38

Trying different "profile" ear muffs could help. Also, try changing your "cheek weld" on the stock. Raise your head a bit more, or you could say lower the stock on your cheek. I have three or four different ear muffs, and multiple rifles, and the ear muffs never touch the rifle stock.

Lavan

One of my difficulty comes from using iron sights.
I can see where a scope might raise the distance.
May go that route.

WAAAAHHHHH :( i love aperture/globe front sights.

I did try silicone sealer on the bottom of the muffs.
Might examine that again.

I liked the moleskin suggestion. Might change the frequency from clack to thud.

I don't get pain at all. What happens is that I lose the hearing for about 3 days after shooting.

And..... I shoot mostly 22. :mad::mad:

JohnKSa

Administrator
What happens is that I lose the hearing for about 3 days after shooting.
:eek:

1. You need some better plugs. That kind of result from something just tapping on your muffs while you're also wearing plugs is just crazy. Get some good quality foam plugs and learn to use them properly (roll them up and insert them deeply) and that should make a big difference. If you're getting enough noise through your plugs to cause you to lose your hearing for 3 days, they are not working.

2. Make sure your muffs are working right. The sound deadening material inside should be in good condition and the padding that seals them should also be in good shape.

3. Put some padding on the muffs where the stock is hitting them. You can also put some padding on the stock to muffle the impact sound even more.

ghbucky

Lavan, I've gotta agree with JohnKSa... you are losing hearing for 3 days after shooting a .22 with double coverage?!

Something is very wrong. IMO, you need to re-evaluate your hearing protection because what you have ain't working.