Strange but practical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonov jr

I had an incident recently where an object (2 "horse pills" actually) became lodged in my throat and nobody was present to help me. Fortunately I was able to cough them out on my own, but it was a close call. My question is whether discharging an air pistol into one's mouth (sucking the barrel to keep an air seal) as a last resort in that situation would be more likely to force the object down into the stomach, saving the person's life, or merely causing lots of unrelated damage while they continued to choke? Sorry, I know it's a bizarre question but the situation got me thinking about workarounds to a Heimlich buddy...

T. O'Heir

"...discharging an air pistol into one's mouth..." Is not a good idea. The tissues in your cake hole are soft and easily torn. Plus you have no idea if you'd be 'firing' foreign objects(bits of pellet) into your head.
It's not difficult to induce vomiting with one's fingers. There is a school of thought that says running into a wall chest first works too. Wouldn't be as fast as sticking a finger down your throat though.

I am not a doctor but I feel fairly confident that discharging an air pistol into your mouth would cause a lot of damage rather than just push the stuck pill(s) down the path they were supposed to follow.

zukiphile

I had an incident recently where an object (2 "horse pills" actually) became lodged in my throat and nobody was present to help me.

Having been deprived of his pills, I take it your horse was too miffed to help.

dahermit

I had an incident recently where an object (2 "horse pills" actually) became lodged in my throat and nobody was present to help me. Fortunately I was able to cough them out on my own, but it was a close call. My question is whether discharging an air pistol into one's mouth (sucking the barrel to keep an air seal) as a last resort in that situation would be more likely to force the object down into the stomach, saving the person's life, or merely causing lots of unrelated damage while they continued to choke? Sorry, I know it's a bizarre question but the situation got me thinking about workarounds to a Heimlich buddy...
There is a way to do a "self-administered" Heimlich maneuver. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001983.htm Shooting an air gun into one's throat seems to be ¡qué locura!

No, NO, NOOOO!

If you're choking, it means the object is in your airway (not in the path to your stomach). Forcing them further down, by whatever means, is forcing them further into the airway. You need to force them UP. See the post on the self-administered Heimlich.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmhyer

If lodged in your airway and you can’t breathe, then it’s Heimlich all the way.

If stuck in your esophagus, don’t panic. Try to wash them down with water. If that doesn’t work, there’s no immediate danger but seek medical attention within a few hours for sure.

Beyond that, be intentionally cautious when taking pills. Sit upright. Have water handy for a chaser. And only swallow one pill at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.