STP Oil Treatment for gun lube.....

Skans

I want to know if anyone (besides me) has ever used STP or other oil treatment for coating gun parts.

I have used this on internal parts to smooth out the action and this is what I've experienced:

1. STP impregnates the metal surface
2. It makes the surface very slick to the touch
3. It quiets the action
4. however too much STP makes will cause dirt collection on the part.
5. It is too sticky to use on external surfaces.

I'm thinking about rubbing in a little STP oil treatment onto the metal to metal parts in my ac556 to try to reduce wear. Has anyone used this for coating parts on any of their guns?

mtrain

My grandfather used it for birthing calf's, what was left over he would pour into the old 390fe truck engine. Wait a minute, did I say that right?

Dfariswheel

I used it on hammer and trigger engagement surfaces years ago.
Bill Wilson also recommended it at one time for 1911 sears.

These days, there are better lubes available, but it still works.

Bud Helms

The requirements for internal lubrication of a firearm are different from those of an internal combustion engine. A firearm's requirements are more like that of a sewing machine. A light-bodied oil is better. And a little goes a long way.

We used to call STP, "chicken fat".

Bud Helms

Well, if I was stumped for some lube and all I had to use was say, Slick50 or STP on my guns, I'd probably choose anything lighter than STP.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
For "stick to the ribs" lube I suggest you look at chainsaw bar oil. It is based on a 30 weight oil but has "tackifier" additives that make it adhere to a surface as well as "string"... otherwise 3-in-1 oil is all I use that isn't a gun oil brand (but it does say guns on the label...)
Brent

Dfariswheel

We didn't use STP everywhere, just on the hammer and seat interfaces, and there because it was very slippery and was thick enough to stay put without running or slinging off.

Tom2

Go green and use some oil from the McDonalds french fry tanks. It will not spook game, that yummy french fry odor is likely to attract deer, bears, raccoons, etc. right up to your gun muzzle for easy hunting!

Bud Helms

We didn't use STP everywhere, just on the hammer and seat interfaces, and there because it was very slippery and was thick enough to stay put without running or slinging off.

I think I can see it on surfaces that have some considerable tension against each other. That would be one.

Dingoboyx

I can see the sense of using teflon oil additives....

But, correct me if I am wrong, but things like STP, slick 50, pro ma and all those things, arent actually a 'lubricant' on their own, they have to be added to oil..... the oil is the lubricant, the additive makes the oil 'better'

I think, if you got your additive, and mixed it with some quality synthetic oil or ATF fluid, that would be better than just the additive on its own?

But really, I dont see the need to use anything other than gun oil on guns? You don't use that much oil per year on a gun or 5..... why not just use the right stuff to begin with?

One thing I do like & use alot, is Inox (in a spray can, like WD40) I do all my external (protective) lubing with Inox coz it is cheap, easy to use, available everywhere (including gun shops) doesn't evaporate off as quickly as WD40 and provides better rust prevention than WD40.

Internal lubing I just use gun oil (kleen bore, formular 3 at the moment).... Ok the 250ml bottle cost $9, but I have had this one for about 6 months already, there is still half a bottle left.... I have 21 guns, (4 longarms, the rest HG's) of them I shoot 10 regularly.....

My point is, yes gun oil is a bit more expensive, but it is the 'right stuff' and IMO, not enough is used to warrant trying to 'cut corners' and find a cheap alternative??

I wouldnt mind dropping some teflon additive into whats left & see how that works... teflon cant hurt, especially mixed with the right oil :D

Tuzo

Gun oil for guns

In my experience the use of specific products meant for specific applications is best. Using this logic I would not use STP on a firearm nor would I use gun oil in a crankcase.

During my younger poorer days I ran 100% STP in my worn out 1960 Sunbeam Alpine roadster because it was cheaper than adding normal motor oil every 50 miles.

Jim Watson

Use gun oil on guns, they say. Which one? There is no SAE for gun oil, the vendors sell a wide range of products of widely differing characteristics, advertising each and every one as the solution to all your gun lubrication needs. Sometimes your gun cleaning needs, too.

Spray it down with thin Remoil or carefully apply a touch of sticky Slide Glide? Which is right?

The right answer is to apply SOMETHING and keep it on there. If it is thin and runs off or dries, put it on more often. If it is thick and greasy, apply just a little and redo often enough to remove the dirt it holds.

Guns don't have oil pans, oil pumps, or oil filters. What you see (or feel) on a surface is all there is, so put something on it. "Chemical bonding" and "in the pores of the steel" is advertising flack. Steel is not reactive to lubricants and MY guns are made out of solid metal.

As to STP, there is a gunsmith who recommends a blend of STP, oil, and transmission fluid. Sorry, I don't remember the proportions.

My mechanic put Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my truck which greatly reduced oil consumpition. I brought home the bottle and drained it into a pickle jar for gun use. It is nearly as viscous as STP and not much use on a gun, but I have blended it with some army surplus lubricating oil (not LSA or CLP, just Lubricating Oil, General Purpose - Preservative, PL-S) and it looks about right.

Last edited:

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Jim Watson said:
As to STP, there is a gunsmith who recommends a blend of STP, oil, and transmission fluid. Sorry, I don't remember the proportions.
Jim, I think you are referring to Grant Cunninghams article on lubrication. Here is the article: Lubrication 101.

Grants recommendation is a 40/60 mix of ATF and STP.

Grant also recommends using NyOil as a substitute for ATF (for those that object to the color and smell). I agree. I've been using this concoction (40% NyOil to 60% STP) ever since I originally tried the blend after reading the article, way back when.

A 4oz bottle of NyOil runs about $6.00. Add this to 6oz. of STP, mix very thoroughly and you now have 10oz. of lubricant/preservative/corrosion resistant gun oil that works on all surfaces (won't harm plastics) in all types of weather.

Skans

Grants recommendation is a 40/60 mix of ATF and STP.

Grant also recommends using NyOil as a substitute for ATF (for those that object to the color and smell). I agree. I've been using this concoction (40% NyOil to 60% STP) ever since I originally tried the blend after reading the article, way back when.

A 4oz bottle of NyOil runs about $6.00. Add this to 6oz. of STP, mix very thoroughly and you now have 10oz. of lubricant/preservative/corrosion resistant gun oil that works on all surfaces (won't harm plastics) in all types of weather.

Is NyOil something I can get at your typical auto parts store? Never heard of the stuff. FWIW, I only use STP on those parts that have a lot of friction - like sears and hammers. I use a very thin coat and it seems to work great.

Doodlebugger45

I always use engine oil on my chain saw bars, chain saw bar oil in my transmission, transmission oil on my guns, gun oil to deep fry my potatoes, and olive oil in my truck engine. Why? Just to be a contrarian of course. Surely the folks that develop those specialized oils don't know what they are doing. Although, I have to admit that the potatoes taste kind of funny. :D

Nah, seriously it does make sense that ATF fluid might work pretty good on guns although I typically take the safe approach and just use regular gun oil.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
NyOil is mostly found in stores that cater to pinewood derby fans. It is used as the lubricant for the axles and wheels.

Some very well equiped auto stores may have it, but your best best is to google the name, "nyoil," or "pinewood derby."