Stove Piping - Help ???

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have been around guns a very long time and have what I thought was pretty good knowledge of the basics. However, once I started reading this forum I have noticed the term Stove Piping. Semi-auto pistols are fairly new to me and I can only guess that this term is related to the semi-auto. Can someone please educate me?

Thanks for your replies.........

czmatt

Your are correct, it does apply to semi-autos.

A stovepipe is when the shell fails to get out of the way of the closing slide in time. It gets stuck, and sticks out of your gun. I think, its caused mostly from uncleaned or unlubed guns and bad magazine springs. Or there might be a serious problem with your gun. Correct me if im wrong.

Te Anau

Stovepiping generally occurs (at least with my guns) when using an underpowered round such as "Winchester WUSS box" and occurs because the spent round doesnt "throw" the slide back hard enough to properly eject the case that was just fired.The spent case then jams in a vertical position between the chamber/feed ramp and the breechface area of the slide where the firing pin comes out to strike the primer and ignite the round.

Handy

Stovepiping can occur due to problems with chamber, round, recoil spring, extractor or ejector.

The magazine is not going to cause this.

Dead-Nuts-Zero

If one needs to know something, this is the place to ask..........Thanks to all, I now have a good idea of what stove piping is, Thank You!!!!

TiP99

stove piping also occurs from poor grip placement, too low. and or limp wristing . My wife is having this problem with my P99. I on the other hand have had no problem, so im sure its not the gun.