Storing guns in attic/garage...

281 Quad Cam

I wanna put atleast a few of my pistols in the attic or outside in the garage. Florida gets a little hot and humid - so what method would best combat corrosion or otherwise degradation of the weapons?

So far I've thought up an ammo can with silica packets, but I feel this might be inadequate. Perhaps a better commercial bought container would be more moisture-proof?

Open to any suggestions.

dairycreek

Any time you store guns over time it requires periodic inspection. In the past I have been guilty of not doing this sufficiently and I paid the price in rust. Using silica packages IMHO really required that there is inspection as the packets attract moisture. So, they need to be changed from time to time. A method that I have found to work well for me is to place each gun inside an old cotton or wool sock (I prefer wool) which is liberally sprayed with some kind of lubricant. I have great, good luck with Eezox. Store each gun in a place where there is ample air circulation and you should be good to go for weeks/months at a time.

Mikeyboy

I think keeping it airtight and waterproof with a lot of silica packs should do it. If you were storing them long term I would be liberal with the oil when your clean them, put them in a silicone sock things, put it in a good hard case with some silica pack, then seal the case with some sort of plastic making it airtight. I have a rifle stored in my attic like that but I have a big roll of shrink wrap plastic and a heat gun (My brother owns a store). If your storing pistols and your case is small and you don't have shrink wrap, try one of those Vacuum packs that they sell on TV. I get a little nuts about long term storage because my brother in law ruined a perfectly good shotgun by storing it in his attic. He just kept in a soft cloth carrier. It went in the attic fine, a year later it was completely rusted.

Anthony2

I've done this in the past.
I suggest cover the gun/s in silica packs, slide the whole unit into a protective sack,(Sack-Ups,work excellent.) and store in a water-tight case(an Americase) elevated off the floor. The Americase will survive anything you can throw at it and if there's a flood the Sack-up will provide water protection if for some unknown reason the case should fail.