Storing a pistol with the slide back

whitenack

Total newb here with 0 experience, asking a question about proper pistol storage.

I have a one year old that is in to everything. In a few years, he will be playing cops and robbers and cowboys and indians.

Handgun safety is a concern.

I plan to purchase a handgun soon for home defense. I plan for it to be kept in the bedroom at all times (IOW, I will not carry). I don't like the thought of a safe, because it would be difficult to find at night, difficult to work a combination under stress, difficult to operate the key, where do you keep the key during the day, finding the key then getting to the safe takes too much time, etc., etc.

I plan to teach my son proper gun safety when he is old enough and responsible enough. Until then, I plan to hide it.

Even though I plan to hide it, there is always the possibility of him finding it. My thoughts are that I could hide the mag in one place, and the gun in another. Both places would be in easy reach if needed in a hurry, but if my son were to stumble upon the hiding place of one, he would still be safe because he doesn't have both pieces.

To speed up the time it takes to be defensive, I thought it would be smart to leave the pistol with the slide locked back, so that when I grabbed the mag, then got to the pistol, all I would need to do is insert the mag and press the release, as opposed to inserting the mag and racking the slide.

Thoughts? Make any difference in time (racking slide vs. pressing release)?

10s&Xs

I'd invest in a small quick-access safe (lockbox).

You can find a variety of styles with mechanical pushbutton combinations (simplex), or electronic touchpads. It allows you to store your gun safely in the ready-condition of your choice, and provides relatively quick access - faster than retrieving a gun and a magazine in two separate locations.

I don't have kids at home, but it was totally worth the $100 I spent for peace of mind.

shield20

For now, I might consider a loaded mag in the grip, with an empty chamber; alot of force is necessary to rack the slide - a toddler won't be able to load it. Leave the slide closed, not enough advantage to locking back as it is much easier to release for a kid. Hide the gun up out of reach. Keeping the mag seperate would be alot safer.

When he gets older, or if older kids may gain access now, (neighbors? babysitter?), I think a safe or a gun lock are the only choices. Kids WILL get into anything - and his friends won't be trained the way yours will be.

Padawan

I would put the gun in a proper safe. Personally, the importance of my child's safety would outweigh the slight "speed penalty" of accessing the weapon from a safe. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it would be easier to access the gun from a quality safe than to be fumbling around for the weapon's hiding spot, and then for the magazine's hiding spot.

dynamite44

i've seen gun safes that are about the dimensions of a phone book. they've got grooves for your fingers and each finger spot has a button. you press the buttons in a combonation of your choosing, the door on the end of it falls open. inside you've got your handgun ready to go.
it can be as simple as a 4 button code. the safe can be bolted to the inside of your nightstand or the underside of your bedframe.

khuengo

I would buy this and hang on top of my bedboard to avoid the reach of childen and it is cheap too. Not only it allows you to hide your gun but also hiding some money from your woman as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148194
83810_ts.JPG

83810i_ts.JPG

MMilitiaR

but if you just leave it on the frigde until hes old enough to climb, your fine, and when hes old enough to climb, hel be old enough to learn gun safety, tell him all the bad things that can happen, brain wash him if you will...

khuengo

glad i could help. Here are some coupons to help you save some bucks

SportsmansGuide coupon: SPG2603 $10 off a $99 purchase. Exp 03/31/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsmansGuide coupon: SPG2729 $5 off a $49 purchase. Exp 03/31/06

SportsmansGuide coupon: SPG2183 $10 off $99 Exp 03/16/06

SportsmansGuide coupon: SPG1305 $5 off a $50 purchase. Exp 03/31/06

SportsmansGuide coupon: SPG2349 $5 off Shipping & Handling with any purchase. Exp 02/26/06

RsqVet

PUT IT IN A SAFE

You can get the finger code type or a finger print scan one. These are quick -- frankly if you put one near your bed you will be quicker as me as I need ot get up and walk 10 feet to get mine.

If that does not work for you sleep with it and wear it 24/7

Trusting any thing other than locking it up or having it on your person is inviting disaster and can not be recomended.

Handy

I thought it might be something like that.

Guns at slide lock are just asking to slam closed at the first bump. If your plan revolves around being able to release the slide, and it gets bumped closed early, then there goes your plan.

Stow it slide closed, and practice getting a quick rack in. It is a good general shooting skill, and won't involve any surprises.

If it is a hammer fired pistol, you could leave the hammer cocked and safety off to ease racking the slide.

auberg

Along with everything else, once the child is old enough to get into everything, if he finds the pistol, and he will eventually, he may figure out how to release the slide, if his finger is in the wrong place, could come up with a nasty injury. Just something else to think about.

The safe that uses the fingerprint may be the best way to go.

Ruger451

The finger groove/button safes are a great idea. They can be set to silent mode so you aren't alerting whoever that you are opening a safe and the doors on some are spring loaded, opening very quickly. Also, some have a lockout feature, where if your kid tries to guess the code, after so many attempts it simply locks up for an hour or so.

They also make wall mounted units of both this type and the finger-print version (which is the most secure in my opinion), which also have quick-open doors.

PSI357

Cabela's has a good looking version of a single gun, Bio-fingerprint operated safe that I have heard a couple of people here reffer to. I don't have personal experience with this type of locking mechanism, but if it works as advertised, I am interested myself. Runs about $300.

www.cabelas.com

TheEgg

Fast access gun safe is the only way to go. Spend the money, you will be grateful you did -- this is your son.

Fer

Can I orden one of those safes from internet? how much do they weigh? on what site can I see them?

Thanks,

svtruth

Even if you gunproof

your child, he will have playmates who are not. Thus the weapon must be secured.
Good luck.

Juna

I personally am planning on going with a fingerprint recognition safe. All you do is put your hand around the handle and thumb on the fingerprint reader and pull open the door. It uses fingerprint recognition, so you can program in yours and your wife's and that's it. The kid will never be able to guess a code, find a key, find the magazine hiding place, etc. It just plain won't open without yours or your wife's thumb print.

whitenack

What are your thoughts about trusting something like that?

What if the power goes out? What if the thumb reader has a malfunction?

Juna

Well, that's a good point, but they typically have some sort of backup system that is supposedly hidden, from what I've been told. But then, that raises the question then why not use a non-battery powered combination safe and not have to worry about power or electronic malfunctions.... Good point... I guess there are ups and downs to any kind of safe.