Storage, how and where?

solitude127

I just got done laoding my first 100 rnds off 223, which I can't wait to see how they do..:) .
But my questions are,
How and where do you store your press?

How and where do you store your powder measurer?

How and where do you store your scale?

I live about 3 miles from the ocean and I'm afraid rust might be a factor because of the moisture in the air. Thanks

jaguarxk120

How do your other tools do? Garden, car anything outside, does it rust away?

I live in Michigan surrounded by water and the humidity in the summer requires a dehumidifier running 24/7 through the summer.

jepp2

No problems now, but when I lived for a while in DE, I had issues with the dies rusting some while in a climate controlled basement. It did have some dampness, but certainly not excessive.

Any bare metal steel surfaces are potential for rusting if not protected by a rust inhibitor. I do a much better job now of cleaning and applying a light coat of CLP after use due to my previous experience.

medalguy

Get a can of RIG grease and coat everything except powder and primer accessories with a light coat before you put them away. The salt in the air will make a mess of everything steel in short order. I'm not sure CLP will woprk as well but it will work. All of it will need to be cleaned before you can use it again.

Maybe your "significant other" will let you keep the equipment permanently mounted on a bench in the house? That would sure help.

jaguarxk120

Just what medalguy says get a can of RIG, when i put any gun away it's wiped down with a rag that has RIG in it. Keep the rag in a sealed metal tin when not in use.

serf 'rett

Tried to reply to this the other day but internet shot craps. For an interesting read, go to this guy's home study of protecting metal from salt water.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

The grease would likely do the trick; however, it will become messy if you become a loading addict, in need of a fix every few weeks (which may well turn into every few days with the acquisition of more calibers).

If the equipment must go into the garage, you may consider placing it where it can be easily seen. This would allow you to often check it for the beginning of rust

rclark

Basement. Press is permanently setup as well as powder measure. The scale goes into a drawer and only pulled out when needed. Same with all the other 'little' stuff. All in drawers. That way my bench is clear for other activities other than reloading.