Stopped by cop

doh_312

Regular traffic stop, for a lack of front license plate. (I know I should have one)

My revolver was wedged between the seat and the center console. Simply posistioning my leg in the right spot concealed the gun from view of the officer on my side, the officer on the passenger side could still see it. Not wanting a misunderstanding I informed the officer of the weapon and my CCW, though not required by Colorado law unless asked. I found a few questions to be a little odd. He asked what kind of gun, he asked if it was in a holster. I figure he just wanted to know exactly what he was working with.

Then he asked why I got my CCW. I responded for personal protection. He then asked if I carried a lot of money... No sir I do not. As they drove off they gave me my lisence and his card and said have a good day.

Anyone else think it is a little weird, particularly the last two questions?

JerseyDrez

He can ask whatever hed like, its your right whether you want to answer him or just respond with 'I find that irrelevant sir' or whatever.

I dont find it weird. If you were an LEO and stopped someone with a weapon in the car, I would be asking the same questions.

In reference to the last two questions, he was probably just wondering what your opinion was regarding a CCW, and the money questions...I dunno. I mean what if you did respond with, 'yes officer, I do carry lots of money on me at all times, is there a problem?', what can he say then? Nothing.

Dont worry about it. He might have just been being nosey.

A/C Guy

Here's a sure way to get attitude back from an LEO

He can ask whatever hed like, its your right whether you want to answer him or just respond with 'I find that irrelevant sir' or whatever.

what if you did respond with, 'yes officer, I do carry lots of money on me at all times, is there a problem?', what can he say then?

The OP did right and got no ticket. You would have been sitting on the curb for an hour while they wrote you as many tickets as they could.

Attitude from you will get you tickets and attitude in return.

CK_32

Yea i find that pretty odd about the money..
But the rest i could see him making
conversation to see what kind of attitude you had
to see if you had a little hostility towards them and what
now.. but he money thing was kinda odd..
but you did good just going with it.. cause it may
be your choice to answer their questions but then
again its their choice to find probably cause when ever
they feel like it.. haha so i say just answer the questions
and get it over with.

attila787

I was stopped about three weeks ago I was carrying my cz and tomcat. When I presented the my chl and let him know I was armed. He asked me "why are you carrying so many firearms" then he asked for them and took them to his patrol car.

I know of many who would get rather upset at an officer taking their firearms, but I have had this done to me twice for no real reason. I am always polite and answer all of their questions. It's becoming irritating, but what can I do.

AWDstylez

"I know of many who would get rather upset at an officer taking their firearms, but I have had this done to me twice for no real reason. I am always polite and answer all of their questions. It's becoming irritating, but what can I do."

What you can do is not give them to the police. They have no reason to sieze your property. Unless they can articulate that they believe you are or are about to commit a crime, they have no reason to search you, and you are not required to consent to any search.

I hope this is PC enough.

Montanaman

CCW?

Well Officer, I got the state issued lic. to carry so that I could comply with state laws while exercising my rights under the "2A" :D

Have a nice day !!

When I got my very first carry permit that's what I put in the " Why do you want to carry a gun" No probs!

Sevens

What you can do is not give them to the police.
Doing this in some states without knowledge of how that law works can and will get you arrested, charged and convicted, legally. So PC or no PC, be careful dispensing legal advice when you don't know the law.

Anyway, with regards to questions and odd, unusual or offbeat questions, plenty of times it's not so much a question as it is some conversation... to get a better idea of your level of intoxication or simply to see if you are acting strange. Customs agents do this sort of thing all the time... perhaps to catch you in a lie if you happen to be making something up, they'll go off in tangents in the conversation to see what kind of response you'll have, or if you'll get lost in the middle of your lie.

AWDstylez

Can you cite a law that requires an individual to consent to a search and/or turn over their property to the police without a warrant, or without RAS?

Sevens

Ohio law gives LEO the right to take your legally concealed handgun and retain possession of it for the duration of the stop if they choose to do so. ("For Officer Safety" says the Attorney General)
Seems as though most experience is that don't typically do it, but sometimes they exercise this ability to do exactly that.

You could tell them no if you like... but then you've broken the law here in Ohio and you'd likely be arrested, charged and quickly convicted. And you'd lose your state issued CHL, too. And I would imagine that if an Ohio LEO asked you to hand him your carry gun and you tell him "NO!" that you might be inviting a look at HIS carry gun.

If you doubt me, you may search the Ohio Revised Code on this.

This is one very easy and clear example of why folks who choose carry concealed must be quite versed on the laws that apply to them... and extra diligence is required when you start venturing out of your own state.

If you'd like to hear more Ohio gun laws/concealed laws that we don't necessarily care for, I could give you a laundry list.

If you'd like the actual ORV, you'll have to go look that up. ;)

drail

For many years (before shall issue licensing started) you had to provide a need to the licensing authority (usually your local sheriff) to carry a gun. They would be wanting to hear that you carry large sums of money, jewels etc.. If not then you would not "need" the license and they would not issue it. This kind of mindset is still prevalent among a lot of cops. Many cops still think that only cops should be able to carry. This will probably take a long time to go away.

teeroux

He then asked if I carried a lot of money..

Another member said in another thread (don't remember member or thread)throw them for a loop ask him "why do you ask are you trying to solicite a bribe?":D

CWPinSC

FWIW - in most states, the officer can confiscate a weapon for his safety. Also, in most states, the officer has a right to search the area within your reach at the time of the stop. Again, to ensure he's not dealing with an unknown concealed weapon you might reach for. He doesn't need a warrant do to either. As for probable cause, attitude will usually do it.

OuTcAsT

Can you cite a law that requires an individual to consent to a search and/or turn over their property to the police without a warrant,

In practically all jurisdictions it is the same authority that gives them the ability to "pull you over" While consent to "search" is protected, in many states you are required to notify the officer you are armed, in others you are not. The pros and cons of advising the officer regardless have been discussed ad nauseum in this, and other fora, but the general consensus is that it is better for you to let them know you are armed, than for them to find out "accidentally".

In some places it is SOP for the officer to disarm you, for others it is discretionary, in either event you are likely to have a better outcome if you comply with the officers' instructions at the scene, and if your rights have been violated in the process, hire an attorney and hash it out in court. The side of the road is not a good place to attempt litigation.

Doing this in some states without knowledge of how that law works can and will get you arrested, charged and convicted, legally. So PC or no PC, be careful dispensing legal advice when you don't know the law.

^^ This is sound advice^^

Last edited:

JerseyDrez

A/cGuy, if your going towards that I meant give him attitude, thats not what I was going towards at all.

I was trying to state that some of the questions he asked are somewhat irrelevant. I understand that he could look for anything to write him a ticket for, but the only thing that a citation could be issued for would be the original law he broke (lack of a front license plate). Hypathetically speaking, he could write him a citation for interupting his investigation or failure to cooperate if he answered with what I quoted in my above post, yet those answers are honest and legitimate. So what if he carries a few hundred bucks in his wallet, and so what if he has a CCW...there is no problem with either of those.

I, personally, never give law enforcement a hard time. As long as your honest and polite, they are usually polite right back.

CWPinSC

I, personally, never give law enforcement a hard time. As long as your honest and polite, they are usually polite right back.

Right. You will NEVER win an argument with a LEO in the field. I may decline to answer a probing question, but I will to it with respect and courtesy. "I'm sorry, officer, I decline to answer under my rights of silence."