Stop with the "Just get a colt python" remarks.

Blondie.357

No, that is bad advice to anyone.

Face it, colt pythons are just collector items for those with the extra cash.
Since they aren't made anymore and they are becoming more and more limited, while the old gun smiths are aging, its stupid to buy a python unless you know how to work on it yourself and I doubt very many on this forum can.

Stop suggesting guns that aren't even made anymore and can be quite costly and just plain difficult to tune or repair "if you can even do that"

The colt python had its day and its nothing but a piece of history now.

Get with the times please.

Don P

Since they aren't made anymore and they are becoming more and more limited, while the old gun smiths are aging, its stupid to buy a python unless you know how to work on it yourself and I doubt very many on this forum can.

I have one, shoot it on a regular basis, and is as pristine as the day it was purchased in 1981. They were and are meant to be shot and NOT sit in the safe. I'll bet deep down you wish you could afford and have one.:eek:

Stop suggesting guns that aren't even made anymore and can be quite costly and just plain difficult to tune or repair "if you can even do that"

So people should stop buying Colt series 70's because they are no longer made?:eek: If you can afford the python then you can afford the repairs when needed.:cool::rolleyes:

The colt python had its day and its nothing but a piece of history now.

A very valuable piece of history and to inform you is STILL IN IT'S DAY:cool:
The Rolls Royce of revolvers.

Get with the times please.

Us Python owners ARE with the times as well as the Pythons ARE with the times and always will be.

SilentHitz

Some of us actually LIKE the older guns no longer made...many times much better quality than the new stuff offered now days. More hand fitting went into guns made in the day.:cool:

savit260

As a truck driver of extreemly modest means, who regularly carries and shoots a Python, I take issue with that statement.

its stupid to buy a python unless you know how to work on it yourself and I doubt very many on this forum can.

I also own and carry a 1926 Colt Army Special which has the same lockwork as the Python. It's 86 years old and still functions just fine. I'm not losing any sleep over either one ceasing to function any time soon. I think I'll just be happy in my stupidity, and enjoy my Colts. :D

Harry Callahan

Would love to own a Python one day, just have more important things I'm worried about acquiring now. I actually try to go out of my way to look for something a little unique and possibly out of production. Sorry if it doesn't quite meet your criteria as a worthy addition to my collection but I guess I'll try to get over it:rolleyes:.

savit260

Any model that is currently in production.

and for what it's worth, I didn't pay a whole lot more for my Python, than what an average new Smith 686 goes for, and DEFINITLY less than the less than what I've seen come out of the S&W Performance Center.

brotus2

Aside from my real lever action Wins and 1st gen SAA's, the most beautiful gun I have ever seen.

I need to get one and put it in a 500 year time lock box for a future geneation.

Hopefully, they will do the same.

WVfishguy

I never thought about it much, but the OP has a point. :(
000_0040.jpg

I don't know what I'll do if my current gunsmith drops dead. He "cut his teeth" on Colts, loves them, sold me a wonderful 1968 Python (shown), has worked on my Trooper MkIII, does a great job. But I don't have a backup 'smith.

Any decent 'smith can work on a S&W or Ruger. A Python is a different matter. I'm never going to buy another Python because of this.

Plus, I don't really like Colts as well as S&Ws. I much prefer old N-frame Smiths to any Python. My wife's 586 no dash and Model 13-1, and my Dan Wesson 615 all have better triggers than the Python. Why would I spend all that money on a another Python? Because of the name?

I don't think Blondie.357 is a troll, I just think he/she is saying what a lot of people think, but few are willing to say. And it's wrong to attack someone for expressing their opinion - that's the whole purpose of a forum, to exchange ideas.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you believe a poster is trolling, report his post.

If you honestly believe that someone is a troll, replying to the thread is counterproductive as it merely gives the troll more publicity by bumping the thread.

And posting accusing someone of being a troll is also counterproductive. If you are wrong you've publicly insulted a fellow TFL member which is against the rules. If you're right you've bumped the thread which is exactly what any troll wants.

Finally, there's really no point in posting on a thread if you don't want to discuss the topic at hand. Posts like "IBTL", "What a waste of bandwidth", are not only a waste of your time, they waste the time of everyone who reads the thread.

Peter M. Eick

Interesting advice about the Python.

I consider my Colts to be shooter guns and in general I collect my S&W's. Most of them are parked in the safe and are not shot, but then again, they are pre-numbered models so all are pre-1957 guns.

So back to the python.

I find the Python to be a nice gun to shoot. It is very common, as I have never been in one of the local gun stores and not seen at least one for sale. They are well made, and other then a few tests, mine is always shot with full 357 loads. Right now it is at round count 4,180 and yes I plan on shooting it tomorrow. Most of my loads out of the python are 14.0 grns of 2400 with a 158 grn Lasercast bullet. If you check your manuals, you will find that is a max or near max load for the 357 mag. The gun is still tight, accurate and reliable.

So, your premise that they are for collectors is possible. But they are so common right now, why care about that. Just go buy one and shoot it.

You say they are for collectors with extra cash. No. Python's are cheap. Go price a Registered Magnum or a nice Pre-War Magnum and get a load of what expensive is. I am glad that I picked up my Registered when I did because I could not afford one today. Heck even an beater 38/44 Heavy duty will cost more then most Pythons today. Yes they are more expensive then some Ruger's but they are not expensive by any stretch of the imagination. Korth's are expensive. S&W Pre-War's are expensive. Python's are not in general.

Finally you talk about costly to repair and tune. My Python has not needed this service so I can't say about it, but my Diamondback has been back to the factory for a tune up and it was only $79 for a retime, bolt screw head replacement and a new mainspring. It costs me $49 to ship it. I don't see that $79 for a retime is that much and it was done by the factory.

My suggestion is to reconsider your premise and get a Python. Like I said, I consider mine a shooter gun. It is just fun to shoot.

python_2400.jpg

Here is 50 shots, offhand with the 2400 load I mentioned at 15 yrds.

Uncle Buck

Wow, What a statement. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

One of the things I like about this handgun is I hardly ever hear of it needing a gunsmith. Not only do I think the quality is top notch (I have never had a problem with mine), but I like the feel.

I do not shoot hot loads in my Python, but until recently, I have always shot factory ammo.

I think the Python is just another piece of quality American engineering and craftsmanship that are getting harder to find.

GUNKWAZY

The Python sucks, so everyone should trade them in on 686's with the cute little safety locks and we can get on eith our wretched lives.;)
That way i can buy more.... ha ha ah aha ha

brightpythons.jpg

sspythonpair.jpg

IMG_8529.jpg

Jeff (PYTHON-KWAZY)

madcratebuilder

One of the things I like about this handgun is I hardly ever hear of it needing a gunsmith.

Correct if they are not shot much. I have shot two out of time in forty years. Each lasted about ten-twelve years and starting spiting lead. They're a fine revolver but require more service than lets say a Registered Combat Magnum;)

WVfishguy

Peter M. Eick:
My Python has not needed this service so I can't say about it, but my Diamondback has been back to the factory for a tune up and it was only $79 for a retime, bolt screw head replacement and a new mainspring. It costs me $49 to ship it. I don't see that $79 for a retime is that much and it was done by the factory.
When did you get that work done? If it was recently, I may reconsider getting another Python. A Diamondback and a Python should run the same, service wise.

Most of my loads out of the python are 14.0 grns of 2400 with a 158 grn Lasercast bullet.
:eek:
You've got more nerve than I do! I reserve loads like that for Rugers and N-frame Smiths. The N-frames are overbuilt, and if I blow up a Ruger, so what? ;)
In all fairness, my 'smith said Colts are tough as nails, and all the really old ones I've seen locked up like bank vaults. My Trooper MkIII is built like a tank - damn good steel, too. Actually, it's probably the strongest .357 I own.:D

Don P

GUNKWAZY, you have a beautiful collection of Pythons The 2 engraved caught my eye. Very nice and definitely one to be envied.:cool: