Stoeger Luger 9mm stainless

orionengnr

I have a co-worker who has one. He is interested in selling and getting a CHL-worthy 9mm. I did a search for prices, and there are not many for sale. The prices are all over the map, from $699 to $1700.

What is a fair price for one of these? I believe he is the original owner, and has not put many rounds through it. I have not seen this pistol yet so I have to take his word on condition, but he calls it very good.

AustinTX

The stainless Stoeger-labeled Lugers were made by the same Houston-based company that produced the Mitchell Lugers. From everything I've read, they're not considered to be of very high quality.

Mitchell Lugers on GB have sold from $700-$1,295 over the last 90 days; $1,700 for one of these Aimco-produced guns sounds outrageous to me, but I wouldn't be interested in one at all even at the bottom of the price range. I think a 1970s Mauser Luger would be a far better buy.

Walt Sherrill

I've heard nothing good about the ability of these guns to perform reliably.

For the kind of prices you've cited, you can eventually find SHOOTER Lugers, and some low-end collectibles. You'd be far better served with the real thing.

Note, too -- there may be a good reason your friend hasn't put many rounds through that gun... Offer him a kel-tec PF9 in trade. I wouldn't go much higher than that.

44 AMP

Staff
I just got one of these guns last weekend. Brand new in the box, with tool, papers and spare mag.

Finish on the outside is excellent, I haven't checked the internals yet. Checkering is sharp and clean. The head of the mag catch button is a bit larger (easier to operate) than my 1936 P.08.

Gun is unfired and a bit stiff, especially the safety lever, but thats to be expected.

The gun looks excellent. How well it will work (after I decide its broken in), only time will tell.

Yes, you can still get a "shooter grade" Luger a bit cheaper, but those guns are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are only going up, and frankly, the finish is usually gone or nearly so, and mismatched parts are what make it an affordable "shooter"

I figure this gun I can shoot, and play with without risking a 65 year old collector's piece. And it IS a Luger, it says so right on it!;)

Pilot

In the early to mid 90's I bought one of the East German or Russian capture Lugers that had been re-arsenalled, basically re-blued (dipped), and sold in the U.S. It is a 1941 Mauser P-08 with all markings in tact. It is a GREAT shooter, and I have many flawless round through it. As it is not a collector gun, I have no problem shooting it, and it goes to the range pretty often with me. Always gets some funny looks, especially from younger folks whom have only seen Glocks and the like up close. Then I bring out my C-96 Broomhandle. :D

If I were to get another Luger, it would be one of these, or one of the Swiss made Mauser Lugers that were made in the 70's, and sold through Interarms.

I have one. I had to send it back 3 times in the 90's to Mitchell Arms finally get a different one that worked. Pretty gun. I polished it even more...

mine:
SSLuger.jpg

Last edited: