Stoeger double barrels

Mastrogiacomo

My father just got a Remy 870 Home Defender tonight. Looks like a nice gun if we can figure out how to use it. Got me thinking of getting a shotgun for myself but I like the look of the Stoeger double barrels more. Can anymore tell me about this firearm and it's reliability?

Russ5924

I got one of there coach guns in 20 fired it a few times and put it away.I think it is some place in the closet and that is the best place for it.The gun it self isn't to bad but the triggers no way if I remember it doubled on me once and that was it for me.Hey you get what you pay for :)

Mastrogiacomo

I'd like one in a 12 gauge for myself but curious to learn more about the gun in general. Every company has a critic, but if it's dependable and pleasant to use, I'm game.

esldude

Friend has one in 12 guage coach gun. Nice, short handy. Didn't kick as badly as I thought it would. Good solid kick mind you, but not too bad. Some complain about it opening. That it is stiff, and rather than opening with unlatching it has to be opened. It is true, they are stiff, a few hundred uses helps some or polishing with something.

My friend's has never doubled or otherwise malfunctioned. It isn't expensive, but it does work fine. I would consider or have considered one for a bed side shotgun. Simple operation, and short enough to be useful in close quarters.

jvlip3

I own a Stoeger Coach Gun blued steel. What separates it from the others is it has a large and comfortable beavertail forearm. The gun has an automatic safety- when you close the action the safety engades. Chokes are fixed on mine-improved cylinder and modified. With heavy loads the recoil is there and more so with the hard plastic butt plate mine came with. It does not have automatic ejectors which is a plus since I do not like picking up emptys off the ground. In the coach gun market this one is the best. I use mine on the skeet range and I get alot of coments until I blast the clays out of the sky. Also makes a good upland bird gun. Mine is 12 GA. by the way and I added a slip over recoil pad to dampen the recoil. The double triggers are fine with no creep. They take a little to get used to if you have been firing a single trigger gun. Mine cost me $420.00.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I've been using one in CAS for almost ten years now, in 12 ga. I've never had a problem with mine. As others have stated, it was stiff when new but it broke in very well. One night I just sat in front of the TV and , while watching the TV, broke open the shotgun during the evening's entertainment. That helped a lot with smoothing out the breaking open.
As for the doubling, I suspect you had a finger on both triggers when you fired one barrel and the recoil and involuntary muscle reatction caused your finger to stroke the other trigger. Try putting only one finger in th triggerguard at a time and using the same finger to fire one barrel after the other.

jvlip3

I did the same thing. My Stoeger was stiff at first but I sat down in front of the TV and just kept opening it and closing it. Now it opens smooth as silk. All guns need to be broken in.

willsjeep

I Really like the 12 Ga Coach I have, It could stand a nice recoil pad, especially after a day of skeet shooting.
I would like to get one in 20 Ga
Yes mine did require some breaking in also.
Will

Sarge

Hi Mastrogiacomo-

Given equal loadings, the 12 will kick more- but this is not the whole story. A light 20 with mag loads will get your attention, for sure. Light field loads in the 12 are usually pretty easy on the shooter, and of course you can load it "all the way up" with 00 buck/or slugs, if you so desire.

I like short doubles too, and like 4" Model 29 S&W's, I can't imagine not having at least one around. My short double these days is an old Elgin arms 12, bobbed to 19 inches a long time ago.

I've known a couple of guys with Stoeger coach guns over the years, and never heard any complaints. Take care & have fun-

jvlip3

The more expensive coach guns have a nice recoil pad with screw in chokes. I would have bought one of these but they weren't available at the time. I still love mine though. Also nice to know I'm not the only one on the skeet range with one. Have fun guys!