Stoeger Condor O/U Interchangeable Barrels?

jkpq45

Hi All,

I have a 12ga O/U Stoeger Condor that balances really well for me for clays. My wife would like to try it out as well but it would be nice to use a 20ga barrel set on the same frame for her.

I know there are other options (like buying a complete new O/U) to get her into 20ga, but do you think I could track down a 20ga barrel set and fit it to this frame?

Just not sure if the frames are the same size.

Does anyone have both and could make some measurements for me?

Thanks!
jkpq45

BigJimP

I don't have a Stoeger.....so I can't take any measurements for you ...

..but typically, you cannot fit another set of barrels....even one mfg's 12ga to the same mfg's 12ga receiver...without some "fitting" being necessary for them to lock up properly..../ and while I've never tried to fit a set of 20ga barrels to a 12ga receiver, I doubt seriously they would lock up properly.

One thing you could do ...is consider a set of drop in, barrel inserts...to convert the gun to a 20ga..../ there are some full length "tube sets" ...but there are also some partial length sets ...like the "sidekicks".... or short chamber length inserts called "chambermates".....

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=134357

that might work for what you're doing....
---------------------
A stand alone 20ga does not necessarily recoil less than a typically heavier 12ga.../ sometimes the best option is to shoot a typical 20ga load ( 7/8 oz of shot ) in a 12ga ....or even a typical 28ga load ( 3/4 oz of shot ) in a 12ga to significantly reduce recoil. A Stoeger is not typically a heavy shotgun....

....so just changing loads, I think is your best - and least expensive option. 12 ga shells in 7/8 oz of shot at around 1200 fps / or even 1150 fps are "light" recoiling shells and should be readily available retail in most areas....or even 3/4 oz of shot in a 12ga shell.....( or reloading) of course is another option / a lot of us have gone to less shot ( 7/8 oz or 3/4 oz of shot in our 12ga loads...for a lot of the clay target games )...saves money /saves wear and tear on your body when you're shooting 200 shells a day...

Last edited:
That would work, Jim. While some of those adapters cost two or three hundred dollars, here is one for 26 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Convert-shotgun-Reducer-Chamber/dp/B0039D64BE

A buddy actually had one in his Krieghoff the other day. He kept trying to get me to give it a go in my Browning but I didn't. I don't know if it was the inexpensive short insert or an inexpensive one. Keep in mind that the 20 gauge wad is not going to fit as snugly against the inner wall of the 12 gauge barrel after leaving the chamber insert.

I didn't pay a lot of attention, but he seemed to shoot poorly with it. My guess is that the leaking gas may have affected velocity, but for $26 it may be worth a try.

Ditto on the 7/8 ouncers. He can buy a used 12 gauge MEC reloader for under $100 to load standard 1-1/8 ounce shells for himself and 7/8 for his wife.

Last edited:

BigJimP

I only brought the inserts up as an option, so you know they're out there..../ the only inserts I'd really recommend are either Briley or Kolar full length sub gague tube sets - that need to be "fit" to your specific barrels...but that's way more money, than I think you're looking for...

Dreaming is right ....on the chambermates I've tested in a couple of my O/U's balistically, they don't really do the job very well.../ 10 or 15 yrs ago, when they first came around - they were a novelty .../ but they never worked very well.

Changing your shells...is really the best solution for you ....find a 7/8 oz 12ga shell ....or a 3/4 oz 12ga shell....and let her shoot those...and on both, make sure the velocity is no faster than 1200 fps..

BigD_in_FL

To answer your first question, no you cannot do that

Follow Jim's advice about using subgauge tubes in the 12, OR reloading 3/4oz loads in the 12 for lower recoil

jkpq45

BigD, are the frames different sizes on the 20 and 12ga condors?

I understand about down-loading shells and perhaps weighting the gun for less recoil. The inserts are nifty. I've made a few for shooting 30-06 and 44mag out of a 12ga tube (but it was on a rifle-rated receiver from H&R/NEF). So I understand the concept.

Thanks for the ideas!

jkpq45

Those are the ones we've used for her--they have feathers on them. Perfectly comfortable for me but I can't hit anything with them as I'm used to normal or HDCP loads.

Thanks for all the advice.

zippy13

D100S, my friend...

The Amazon inserts you mentioned are shell adapters where the Briley (and similar) units are gun adapters. With a shell adapter the unit is removed with the shell (there is no extractor) after each shot. A tube stays in the gun and has its own extractor that works in tandem with with the gun's extractor.

One of the big costs, in manufacturing tubes, is incorporating an extractor into the tube's chamber area. Adapters are relatively simple to manufacture, and are little more than a novelty item.

BigD_in_FL

BigD, are the frames different sizes on the 20 and 12ga condors?

With a weight disparity of over half a pound, I would imagine so; that would mean a lot of work and cost more than a new gun

pbrktrt

Stoeger offers a 12/20 combo from the factory. A quick search showed a few online for sale. You could sell yours and get the combo pretty reasonably.

BigJimP

Why would anyone want to sell a gun ...and buy a combo 12/20ga gun....when you can just buy 7/8 oz shells for the 12ga ....???

( it makes the 12ga -- the same thing as a 20ga ).....

A quick google turned up some people were happy with their Condors but just as many had problems with the second barrel not firing. Just reload your own ammunition; 3/4 or 7/8 ounce 12 gauge for her and heavier loads for yourself.

As for the original query, call Stoeger and ask if you can get a 20 gauge barrel that will mount to your 12 gauge. Be sure to ask about fitting.

BigJimP

At the clubs I shoot at ...I see more than a few Stoegers that are having quality issues..../ especially with triggers....and firing both barrels.

Sometimes, I wonder if its ammo related...but in other situations, I know its the gun because we've tried other shells. Stoegers are just not going to be 250,000 shell guns ....but for casual shooting, if you get a good one, they might be fine...