Stock's effect on accuracy?

abrahamsmith

Assume you have a rifle that shoots sub-MOA very nicely, but the stock doesn't quite work out (comb not high enough for scope, so have a silly leather pad on it).

Assuming the new stock were carefully bed and free-floated (as the old one was), how much could accuracy change by putting a new stock on it?

I'm guessing the answer is IDEALLY 0 change, but what might actually happen?

Charmedlyfe

About the best analogy I can give is running a marathon in the ultimate perfect running shoe that is a size too small. For real precision, the stock must fit the shooter (that's why there are so many adjustable stocks out there). You would notice QUITE a difference in shooting an uncomfortable rifle and a comfortable rifle.

riverdog

Cheek weld is critical to consistency. The high comb or the silly pad (which I use because they're comfortable) help in putting your eye high enough that you can have a consistent cheek weld. For me, the ideal stock would have a comb too high so I'd need to remove excess wood to lower it, and just a liitle too long so I could shorten it to fit.

Doesn't matter how cheesy the stock looks or how mickey-mouse one tapes/glues/modifies it to make it work. So long as the stock is comfortable to the shooter, and as riverdog describes, enables consistent cheek weld, it's good enough. Aesthetics take a back seat to accuracy.

DeBee

Is the barrel currently free floated in the stock that isn't working out? Or, is it pressure bedded i.e. contact with the forend?

I vote for a new well fitted stock in any case. You'll have more confidence in the rifle as well as comfort. You might be able to duplicate the accuracy or even improve it... as worst, you have a backup stock for the rifle.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
" Assuming the new stock were carefully bed and free-floated (as the old one was), how much could accuracy change by putting a new stock on it? "

Two answers - one, (practical accuracy) you should be able to shoot it better as it'll fit better. Two, the intrinsic accuracy may not be the same with the same componants. But that is a very hard thing to predict. My very limited experiance with switching stocks (usually wood to synthetic) was that accuracy improved. But I was going from OK wood stocks to excellent synthetic ones.

HTH

Giz