Stock vs. Custom

SIGSHR

After 38 years of collecting and shooting handguns, I find I like my handguns
pretty much stock, the only changes I make are comfortable grips-I cannot
shoot an S&W with factory grips, hence all my S&W revolvers have either Herrett's or Pachmayr grips. The Colt factory target grips fit me just fine. I
generally prefer plain black sights, red inserts don't do anything for me, nor do
white outline rear sights. When I was shooting IPSC back in 1979-1980 I said that "someday" I would get a "real" IPSC gun-at that time Austin Behlert's shop was about 8 miles from where I lived. In the meantime I shot my AMT Hardballer in the matches and usually placed in the top 4 of the 12-15 shooters in our group. And I never did get that "real" IPSC gun. My Ruger Security Six benefited from an "action job"-I installed a set of Bullseye springs
in place of the way too heavy factory spring and cut the trigger pull in half while retaining 100% reliability. The only other handgun I have that benefited
from custom work was my Navy Arms M1875 Remington, I had the late lamented Art Leckie (Austin's son-in-law) make a higher front sight for it,
it has shot just where I wanted ever since.

BigJimP

I run hot and cold on making changes - but it depends on the gun. I like custom grips on all my revolvers and I'm not adverse to changing the front or rear sights.

I like high end 1911's - like Wilson Combat - and I find that I do very little if anything to them - but I usually order what I want up front (night sights, finish, stocks, etc.).

The Real Wyatt

when you want something that doesn't exist

then your only option is custom.

I want a blue .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" bbl. and fiber optic sights.
So I took a brand new 7.5" Blackhawk down to my gunsmith for those mods plus some other things. He's had it for six weeks now and I'm getting anxious to fondle and shoot my custom Blackhawk.

More details and pictures as soon as I get my hands on the finished gun.

elliott

I found out a long time ago and many many thousands of dollars later that custom is the way to go for me. I used to buy a gun, then change this or that. I would then find out that it was not exactly what I wanted then I would sell or trade it. After doing enough trades or selling enough guns at a loss I now just have guns built to what I want from the get go.

I mainly stick with 1911's or Browning hi powers, all have had a trip to Novaks. There are very few guns that I am happy with straight out of the box. But thats just me, YMMV.

skeeter1

The only one I've "customized", if you can call it that, was to put the S&W target grips on my model 35. I like them much better than the standard grips, but they're still walnut. Mind you, this is from 34 years ago. The Hogues that I had on my Smith 66 just didn't appeal to me. From what I've read here and other places, I might be interested in the Pachmeyers for one of the wheelguns.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Gernerally speaking, I like box-stock handguns; however I just recently
purchased a NIB Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 that I like very
much~!:cool: :D

Boondoggie

You could look at this in one of two ways;

a) to personalize your stock gun - i.e. changing grips, sights, even a simple trigger job...

b) the true customs - Your IPSC race guns, open, unlimited etc...or a true custom like a Les Baer, Wilson etc...

I guess I don't own any 'stock' guns, they have all been personalize in some way. Stock/grip has been changed, optics/sights added. There is no 'one size' fits all, and they all need some kind of personalization, or at least that's how I managed to convinced my long suffering wife...:D

Having said that, there is no substitute for a true custom...:cool:

Daves-got-guns

what about liberal-type citys? where if you had to use leathal force to stop a bad guy, and it was with a custom tuned night sighted kimber 1911 with a 3 pound trigger job and etc. I have heard once that folks might say that you built a "mankiller" for the purpose of slaughtering the innocent guy that just happened to walk into your house on accident and picked up your t.v. Like i said i know its off topic, so feel free to ignore if ya please. Also i like novac low snag sights, they look and give a sight picture very well.

AK103K

I've always pretty much liked them stock. They usually are more reliable if you dont fool with them, at least that has been my experience. I dont think changing sights and grips qualifies as customizing. When you get into changing the overall functioning specs, thats a different story.

I used to carry strictly stock (for the most part) Colt 1911's. That was until I bought my first SIG. Out of the box, no need to fiddle with anything. :)

SIGSHR,

We used to be neighbors. :)

Up until last summer, I used to live about 5 minutes from Behlert's.

Lycanthrope

You can customize parts without sacrificing reliablity. In fact, the guns I have customized are much more reliable than some of the stock guns I have had (including a Kimber I sent back twice).

Know what you are doing and finding a good smith is essential.

In the shotgun world, stock fit is considered a must have........but this hasn't caught on yet in the realm of handguns.

It will.

Kermit

For the most part, I too prefer stock over custom primarily because if I have to use any of my guns in a SD situation, I want it to be as lawyer resistent as possible

Colt46

Everyone should have one custom built

True, you could probably buy two or more of the type you are having configured to your tastes. But, whenever someone says, "build me a dream gun" the answer is simple.
Mine is a hard chromed Clement's .45 Bisley. Shoots better than I do and will get handed down to my favorite nephew.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I do whatever I want (and can afford) to my "range" guns.

I'm far more conservative when it comes to modifying my defense guns.