Stock lengthening

Ledbetter

Ordered a used stock. The seller tells me after he looks at it close that it has been shortened 1". It is a stock finished by a nice man named Jack Crawford and is very beautiful. I'm putting it on my bargain basement Walmart Rem 1100 to replace the synth. Make the other trap boys more comfortable. I buy it anyway.

It arrived and is dark walnut with beautiful fleur-de-lis checkering, but it needs lengthening 1" plus a thick buttpad.

Any body got any good ideas? Is it workable to add a length of walnut with "matching" grain?

Thanks

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A decent stock person can add an extension, maybe even match up the wood a little, restain and refinish. It'll cost more than some new stocks of proper dimensions.You might check with Crawford and see if he has the missing piece, some folks can't stand throwing out good walnut.

Or,one can go for the recoil reduction devices like the Gracoil which require some shortening of the stock anyways.How much that's needed on an 1100 with its softer recoil is debatable.

Or, one can stack 4 1/4" stock spacers and add a Pachmyer/Gooey/ KickEez pad of choice. On a trap range, this will not look too out of place, if that's important. Some of the Geezer Squad use duct tape to tune the fit.

Sounds like a nice, too late for hunting season, too early for fishing project....

Hawkaaa53

Stock Lengthening

Ledbetter ,

Would you mind giving some specific dimensions ; maybe we can be of more help if we know what you have and what you want .

Sounds loke you have a stock that was cut for a 1" recoil pad or
maybe a youth/ladies stock .

Hawkaaa53

Ledbetter

The point is moot.

Took it to the gunsmith today for a 1" black rubber spacer and a Kick-eez pad to be installed.

It is a regular walnut Remington 1100 stock. 13.5 inches is the nominal measurement without the buttpad, this one is cut to 12.5. The stock and foreend are of a beautiful walnut, as I guess I said, and there is a black cap with a white diamond on the bottom of the "pistol grip."

I checked out some high-class stockmakers with websites and the most attractive solution I found is an ebony replacement section, which does not require a total stock refinish. I may ultimately replace the rubber spacer with a section of ebony, if I run across a scrap at the cabinet maker or home improvement center.

Thanks and regards.