Stock Fit Question

keano44

I'm sure that stocks on factory rifles (Remington, Ruger, etc) are built to dimensions which fit the majority of gun buyers. I must not be part of this majority. I'm not sure if I can find all the right words to describe my "problem", but here goes:
When I shoulder a Remington rifle (and others with common stocks) it seems the trigger is too far back for me. I'm not sure what the correct terms are to describe the feel of the grip part of the stock, in your hand, as it pertains to a natural "fit". I have held other rifles such as a Sako, with a palm swell in the grip, which seemed to make my trigger finger "be in the right place".
Am I making any sense?
One of the reasons I am asking about this, is I am considering getting a custom rifle built for myself in the near future. It will have the features which I like from different makes of rifles built in. I am not sure what to ask for, about this problem of the grip not feeling "right" to me. I want to be able to describe to the gunsmith what I want. Please help me to word this properly so I can have a fairly intelligent conversation. Thanks

C.R.Sam

Can't tell if your problem is with length of pull....distance from butt plate to trigger, or with distance from grip to trigger.

Biggest requirement for fit, to me, is to have the gun sights aligned with my sighting eye when the butt is snuggled properly into my shoulder and a comfortable cheek weld. Test this by mounting the gun with eyes closed....open eyes...should be lookin right through the sights or scope.

Sam

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hokay. Terminology. As you look at a side view of a rifle (or shotgun).

The distances below the line of the bore: There is the drop at the front end of the comb of the rifle. That's right there in front of your cheek. Then, there is the drop at the heel of the stock, the upper rear of the butt. Last, the drop at the toe, or the bottom of the butt.

Length of pull, commonly around 13", is measured from about the middle of the butt to the trigger.

I wear a 35" sleeve for a dress shirt; I'm happier with a 14" length of pull. The "spiderman" syndrome. :D

The deal is, if a stock fits properly, you can close your eyes and mount the gun to your shoulder. When you open your eyes, you will be looking through the scope, or with a proper sight picture with iron sights, or right down the rib of a shotgun. This is affected by all the above-defined terms.

One other thing: "Cast off". Looking from above, cast off is a slight bend in the stock away from the shooter's cheek from the line of the bore. This aids in sight alignment.

So here's a start; hope this helps.

Art