Stock finish-AK

XLT

Another quick question...

on the same AK I referenced in my previous post, I have stripped the stock. I have access to a professional wood shop and am able to put on basically any finish on that I want.

That being the case, I have read about most people preferring oil finishes on stocks. Is there any reason that a good blended lacquer would not work as well? Lot faster to apply multiple coats.

I don't like the painted look, but I don't want to spend three weeks finishing the stock on an AK. Thanks for any help.

XLT

Dfariswheel

Lacquer will work fine, but the high gloss may be more than you want.

I would recommend a good polyurethane, but you have to be careful on wood that's been oil finished, or has oil in it, since polyurethane won't dry on oily wood.

In any event, most AK stocks have a slathered-on coating of some kind of varnish, so most anything you do would be an improvement.

XLT

Thanks Dfaris,

you're right about it not getting any worse on the wood finish, looked like they had just melted saran wrap on all the wood pieces.

I have a blended lacquer that gives a nice low to semi gloss which I will try. Won't take too long and it comes right off. Thanks again,

XLT