Stock Change

garryc

I have a Ruger AR-556 rith a 6 position stock. I'd like to put an A2 stock on it and keep the original tube and recoil spring. Can I do that and how?

omgtkk

No. Your 6 position stock is likely carbine length tube. The A2 takes a rifle length tube. I've seen complete A2 stock, tube,buffer packages online for around $65. You'll need a wrench for the castle nut to make the change over and they are pretty cheap. Remove the current stock. Remove your buffer and spring. Loosen the castle nut. Unscrew the buffer tube being careful not to let the buffer retainer plunger fly across the room. Then screw in the rifle length tube and capture the buffer retainer plunger.. Slide on the A2 stock and tighten the screw at the butt plate. Replace your buffer. Good to go

Mobuck

Also, don't lose the rear takedown pin detent & spring which is held in place by the metal piece between the castle nut and receiver.

omgtkk

Nope. That spacer is used on an A2 stock and rifle length tube. I believe an A1 stock doesn't need the spacer. Anyhow, like you already noted. Your current buffer tube has the rectangular keyway on the bottom, what you call the "ratchet part". The A2 won't fit over that

wpsdlrg

Note: You CAN use a carbine buffer and spring (in an A2 length stock).....with the addition of a special spacer. The spacer is nothing more than a machined aluminum "slug", which you insert into the rifle length tube, before installing the spring and buffer. It simply takes up the extra space in the longer buffer tube.

Spikes Tactical makes such a spacer. There may be others, but Spikes is the only one that I know of specifically.

If you have a carbine AR, this would be the preferred way to use an A2 stock. The A2 rifle buffer (that normally comes with an A2 stock kit) is generally too heavy for the carbine gas system. They will work, if the gas system is up to par, but only by a small margin. So, it is definitely better to run a carbine buffer with a carbine rifle....and only use a rifle buffer with a rifle-length gas system.

There are 5 different weights of CARBINE buffers, to cover the range of different length gas systems on various AR carbines and "pistols". There is only one RIFLE buffer, which weighs about 5 oz. CARBINE buffers weigh as follows: Standard (3 oz.), H (approx. 3.5 oz), H1 (roughly 4.5 oz), H2 (a bit over 5 oz), H3 (about 6.5 oz). For a standard CARBINE, a "standard" or "H" buffer is usually best.

Scorch

The stock spacer linked allows you to switch an A1 rifle and install the A2 stock. The A2 stock has about 3/4" longer LOP and therefore a longer buffer tube.

wpsdlrg

But, the spacer linked is NOT to be used with a CARBINE tube (the type with the "ratchet part". That spacer is designed to be used in an A2 stock, to allow the use of an A1 buffer & buffer spring.

It's very simple......

If you want a full length rifle stock (A2 stock).....you will need the following:

1) A2 length stock (whatever style you choose)

2) CARBINE buffer & buffer spring (you likely already have these parts)

3) Aluminum spacer (NOT the one linked) - but the type to allow a CARBINE buffer & spring to be used in an A2 stock tube.

There is NO "extension" or "adapter" that will add length to a carbine tube.

One other point. With a carbine type, 6 position stock, the maximum length of pull is 13.5 - 14", depending on the exact stock (and butt plate). The length of pull with the A2 (rifle length) stock is 13.5". So, if you want to change stocks in order to get a longer length of pull, you won't gain anything, except a fixed stock vs. adjustable.

garryc

I see that. I think I'll get the rifle tube and the spikes spacer so I can use the original spring and buffer.