Stock build... turning a left into a righty?

5whiskey

Long story short, I'm building a rifle right now (first build) and I have been looking for a nice stock for it. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but I don't want something that looks retarded. I had almost settled on finding a piece of wood and carving it out myself as the style I want is virtually non-existant. I'm not into all of these cool looking curvy target stocks with thumbholes. If some are that's fine, it's just not my thing. Anywho, I do want something along the target/varmint line but nothing too flashy. Try to imagine a toned-down mcmillan.

Moral of the story, I found an old unfinished blank that fits my rifle action that is shaped almost exactly as I had envisioned. Should be perfect, right? Yeah, the only problem is the stock is a lefty and I (and my rifle) is a righty. Would it look completely retarded to cut a slot for the bolt and an ejection port to do a convert. Would it weaken it substantially (mind you this is directly behind the recoil lug)? It also has a sort of high comb but I already have an idea how to fix that. I'll just cut it smooth and then cut a more reserved comb to fit on the right side. I'll secure it with leather wrap... I've done this before for a sniper after the Marine Corps got the new MK 11s. Worked pretty well and would look pretty even on a wood stock. Add character, or so I think, plus it would be removable.

Anywho... does anyone have an opinion. Would it look dumb?

williamd

Do not think there would be a strenght issus. Glass reinforce if worried. Even an AL channrel.

Looks .... no comment! :rolleyes:

USMCG_HMX1

As long as too much material isn't removed it should be fine, and since it looks like you're going to use a lil reinforcement for it anyways it definately sounds like sound planning.

The stock on my SKS-D is a thumbhole ambi, and I love being able to shoot it both left and right handed even though I'm a leftie. I was really surprised by the amount of abuse it takes and its still holding up rather well, but that doesn't mean I'm chopping tress with the stock either ;)

Kris