Stippling or checkering for frontstrap?

Jeff OTMG

Either. Stippling, if done correctly, is fine. I like the engraved version as done by C&S or Novak's shops. Don't care for the chiseled up 'hooks' or 'teeth' whether done by hand or an air tool. I happen to like 30 lpi checkering. The scalloping looks good as well, though some don't like the fish scale look.

clown714

they both work good
checkering in my opinion looks better.
costs more tho.
on my last 1911 i got skate board tape.
works pretty good,although not very pretty.
been on there over 2 yrs.it's my carry piece.
so it's seen alotta use,mostly in these darn hot summers.
clown

Sundance

I prefer a smooth frontstrap and good textured grips. Skateboard tape is the most functional of all mentioned so far...just not very pretty. I think stippling is hideous. I don't care for the fish scale scalloped looking ones. I don't think serrations accomplish a thing. Checkering is functional, but quite expensive. I have just never found the need for anything on the front strap. I mean really...a carry gun (9, 40, 10, or 45) doesn't really kick enough anyway.

9mmepiphany

checkering is classic but expensive and prone to damage if dropped or bumped.

stippling is beautiful when done well (look at european target pistols) and has the same effect as skateboard tape.

serrations are very practical, but most folks don't have it covering enough area...it should go from edge to edge

i've been looking at having a new treatment on my sig 220...conamyds...take a look at them at www.m-guns.com also look at his application of serrations

WESHOOT2

PRIMAL OOZE

I've found it slightly easier to hold my 1911 (Caspian, of course) with its 20-LPI frontstrap and Ahrends grip panels and Ed Brown MSH.

May try the 25-LPI on my new Caspian (but still going 20 on the MSH).

Don't care (zilch nada none don't matter zero null that-does-not-compute) about looks.

Looks -- BAH!

----------------------------------------

"all my handguns are real purty handguns"

Eric Larsen

I think checkering is the nicest option but as stated already is the most expensive. 30 LPI is nice....I had my Kahr K40 serrated on the front strap and trigger guard...from edge to edge...I wanted checkering and could have had it done..BUT..why? If you think about it the gun only puts force on your gripping hand in one direction....if you have horizontal serrations...you counter the twisting force of the recoil. Makes sense to me....
If it were me and you had to choose between stippling and checkering.....if the stippling is cleanly done then I like it more.

Shoot well

Attachments

• p7220032.jpg
    p7220032.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 97

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I've always greatly preferred the look and feel of checkering, but the stippling on my High Standard frames works just fine--although it occasionally catches bits of cleaning cloth. I felt the same way about stocks until I bought my first pair from Randall Fung: http://jnb.com/~funggrip/index.html

9mmepiphany

eric larsen - very nice, and an eye opener for me because i never even considered lateral serrations...you would think i'd remember after owning a star PD.

i was speaking of vertical serrations...i like the look where the pattern tapers toward the edges...sorta art deco look

weshoot2 - function is nice, but there is little as distressing as dinged checkering... :barf:

Richard

Futo Inu, I will waffle on you. How? 30 LPI stippling for a 1911 frontstrap and checkering for the frontstrap on a Browning High-Power. Why? A Browning High-Power's metal isn't as thick in the frontstrap. Regards, Richard

WESHOOT2

SORRY

I use my guns.
Sometimes I hammer with them.

Did I mention I don't care about looks? :rolleyes: (except the wife; she looks marvelous).

Attachments

• brendaload.jpg
    brendaload.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 71