Still trying to decide on a 1911

Who makes a better 1911 for defense/reliability?

• Kimber

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Springfield

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

meat

I posted a question about 1911 semiautos about a month ago. I really like the .45 ACP and the versatility it offers for defense. After doing some thinking and shooting, I've decided that I'd really like to get a 1911 for personal protection. I'd like to get a stainless model in either full size or one w/ a 4" barrel like the Kimber Compact or Pro Carry or the Springfield Champion. I've narrowed my choices down between Kimber and Springfield because it's what I can afford. I just don't have a grand or more to spend on a gun. :( Anyway, I was wondering which brand is better for a relaible defense gun. I've had some doubts about Kimber because of the "rumored/ internet hyped" Series II problems and their use of MIM parts. But then why would so many swat and police agencies start using it? As long as the gun functions reliably, that's what matters. I'm not looking for match grade accuracy here. From what I can see from the guns I've examined, they seem to be very well made (the Kimbers). But any testimonials from owners who have or haven't had problems would be appreciated. Springfield seems to make a good product, but most gun store owners seem to recommend the Kimber over the Springfield. I'm not worried about having one name over the other, I just want a RELIABLE defense weapon. Thanks in advance.

tetchaje

Springfield. The most bang for the buck out there. After getting one you can save up and send it off to Teddy Jacobsen to make it every bit as good as the semi-custom $1500 guns for a lot less. :)

The Kimbers just don't do it for me...

Drjones

Um, isn't a Kimber pretty high up there???

At any rate, my vote is for the Colt. In my area, the 1991 A1 is around $550.00

If this is indeed above your budget, get the springfield.

Drjones

about Kimber because of the "rumored/ internet hyped" Series II problems and their use of MIM parts. But then why would so many swat and police agencies start using it?

FBI uses Springfields, FWIW.

seems to make a good product, but most gun store owners seem to recommend the Kimber over the Springfield.

That's most likely because the Kimber is more expensive than the spring. (It is, right?)

Correia

I didn't pick one in the poll. I like them both.

My #1 gun is a Springfield. I've had it for several years and it has been my daily CCW it has been a very reliable and accurate gun. (except it does seem to hate one particular brand of ammo, and jams up like crazy on it, very narrow tapered rims fall off the extractor). But it feeds and functions with everything else under the sun.

I have a Kimber Poly on the way as I type this for use in 3 gun and other competitions.

Like I said, I like them both. I've used quite a few of each.

However the breaking of MIM parts is not an internet rumor. I've seen it myself. (brand new CDP, safety sheared right off at an IDPA match). But in their defense, of all the Kimbers I've seen shot locally this is the first one that I've seen do that, and our local club president (who is a gunsmith) knew of one other. And there are a lot of Kimbers used locally, so it doesn't happen very often.

The Kimbers I've used have all been very accurate and reliable. It seems like Kimber may scrimp on the MIM parts, but the frames, slides, and barrels are excellent.

Springfields are tough. And a bit cheaper. Plus I have had to use SA customer service once and they were just awesome. Professional, thurough, and very very fast. :) I've never used Kimber customer service so I can't comment.

They are both really good guns. Personally I would just see which one I could get a better deal on.

sm

Matter of fit IMO. The Kimber series I felt better in MY hand. Colts feel good in my hand. Other makes just don't have that "feel" to ME.

Prefer 5" , none of my buddies whom have seriesII have had a problem. Shoot representative models if can, pick what works for you.

Auggie

Either would be a fine choice, however, Lower cost, customer service, lifetime warranty all point to Springfield. I've got an Ultra compact V-10 that has given me no problem through 400 rds, A loaded Fullsize 9mm that shot terribly low out of the box, that they fixed while I waited in the lobby and 2 XD series models that, next to a 1911, may be the best heaters made.

(Living 30 minutes from the factory helps too!) :)

Prodigalshooter

Kimbers are nice guns, but I'm a working guy, gotta have the Springfield lifetime warranty and slightly lower price, thank you.
If I were going to be able to spend a few hundred more, I'd zip right past Kimber and go for a Baer or Wilson or the like.

AKurat

Go with the Springfield MilSpec and dress it up over time. Of course most gunshop owners are going to recommend the Kimber = more money in their pocket.

ddelange

FBI uses Springfields, FWIW.
Sorry, but the current issue sidearm for the FBI is either the Glock 23 or Glock 22 in .40. Before Glock, the issue sidearm were SIGs. I don't know anyone in the FBI HRT, but they may use 1911 .45's. Delta Force uses its own highly customized 1911, as does LAPD SWAT.

Marko Kloos

The FBI HRT uses Springfields, the same model as their civilian "Professional" series. Springfield was going to name it the "Bureau" model instead, but the FBI didn't like that idea, so now it's the "Professional".

Nice gun, very tight, very expensive. First time I racked the slide on it, I thought I'd left the thumb safety on, because the slide would not budge. It was so tight that it required a good yank to unlock.

mcrog

Heres my 2cts; I own, shoot a springfield,a kimber, a colt,a sti.and a 96 beretta. They all function with out a problem. The problems that crop up with the 1911 can be fixed. If you find a brand you like ,feels good in our hand and just (fits). Dont worry about funtion. If something doesnt work right it can be corrected.Unless your buying the high end guns you will want, need a smith to look at it anyhow.
How are you going to know how it shoots untill you buy it? If this is going to be your carry gun you should shoot the hell out of it from your chosin carry rig.With your chosin ammo. If it hick ups at the range , get with a known pro. smith. they wont do you wrong. Don't be scared, buy a good name brand and stick by it.
If you need the name of a good smith? e mail me. Regards

boing

They're both the same.

Really, this is what you should do: Go to the gun store, play with the guns, then just pick the one you like best, for whatever reason.

If you can't decide, flip a coin.

They're both the same.

:)