STILL can't strip my Ruger 22/45

Battler

I did everything everyone said.

I CAN move the bolt stop; but I pull it down and it bounces back - there's something springloaded that's blocking it in place.

Bolt is forward, gun IS dryfired, what am I doing wrong?

I tried it with AND without pulling trigger, as well as orienting gun every which way.

tempted to throw the gun in the trash - HELP!!

thanks,
Battler.

Sub MOA

Have you spent at least 3 hours on the problem cutting your fingers and skinning your knuckles? That's what it takes. Swearing is optional but adds a nice touch. ;)

Keep trying,
Sub

Battler

Yes, mag is out.

I don't see how this bolt stop CAN come out - something is stopping it; but also is bouncing it back into place (I can move it 3-4 millimeters; but it bounces back on some spring).

IS THIS bouncing back normal? Do I just have to push beyond this resistance?

This is completely insane.

Battler.

Mal H

Staff
Battler - first, no dry firing a Ruger 22 won't hurt it.

Try this procedure, it's not the standard method but it may help:

1) Unlatch the main spring housing latch and rotate it away.

2) Look inside and you should see the hammer lever. It will be loose and wobbling around a little in there.

3) Keeping the mainspring housing fully open, tilt the gun up at about a 45 deg. angle and pull the trigger. You should hear the hammer fall and the hammer lever will now be on top of and resting on a pin.

4) Now rotate the housing down and you should be able to get enough leverage on the assembly to cam the bolt stop down through the hole. Then finish pulling it the rest of the way straight down.

5) If using the leverage method is very hard and you still can't get the bolt stop out of the hole then the gun is broke (probably the recoil spring rod is jammed or broken) and needs a gunsmith or needs to be returned to Ruger.

Good luck.

Battler

Thank you, MALH, You da MAN!!! That worked.

I HONESTLY thought this thing was scrood.

Thank you EVERYONE who helped in the two threads I started on this topic. Very valuable information all around, and I will archive it for future reference!!

Battler.

Mal H

Staff
Good deal! :D

Now with the bolt out, see if the recoil spring assembly is nice and free. You can use the bolt stop pin and push the spring rod back and forth. It should move with no binds. You might check the little knob on the end for burrs or damage. (The knob is in the middle of the semi-circle on the end and is what bears on the high point of the bolt stop when removing or replacing the main spring housing.)

Numbers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Battler:
I did everything everyone said....what am I doing wrong?
[/quote]

Battler,

So, you think disassembly was tuff stuff? Wait until you start to put the thing together; it's a royal pain. At least for me, any way.

The manual's graphics just didn't quite do the job. I had to find other help. Here's a link that helped me, maybe you might need it, too:
http://www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html

Joe

Oh, BTW, here is a link to a Ruger MarkII/2245 forum. It might contain some useful info.
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/52578

Joe

[This message has been edited by Numbers (edited August 11, 2000).]

petej88

I've been shooting for 20 years. I few months ago I bought the 22/45 for my daugter.

It took me two hours before I could successfully dismantle and assemble the gun again. I just followed the directions completely, including holding the gun at odd angles during the various assembly stages.

Yes, one finger was bleeding during this ordeal.

Now, it's not a problem :)

good luck.

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~petej55

Mom T

I'm not trying to toot my own whistle or anything but I got mine apart on the first try. Of course it probably helped that I have a degree in engineering. That or I just got lucky. Anyway, after you do it a few times it will get easier. However, if you have continued difficulty then you may want to check out the web address below. It is for a speed strip kit that replaces the bolt stop with an allen screw to make field stripping very easy. Also, if anyone has the Mark II, then I would recommend getting the trigger shield that they sell. It is a spring steel shield that prevents crud from falling down into the trigger mechanism. I purchased one and it works great. I used to have to disassemble and clean out the gun every couple hundred rounds to smooth up the trigger pull. Now I can go over a thousand rounds in between cleanings without a problem.
http://www.ontargetguns.com/apssk.html

Mal H

Staff
Mom T - first of all, welcome to TFL!

I had never seen that speed strip kit before. Looks like a very good idea although on the expensive side. It might save a lot of cursing for those who do have trouble field stripping a Ruger.

I certainly agree with your recommendation of the On Target trigger shield. After I installed one, I don't find it necessary to field strip my Mk II nearly as often. It really keeps all the crud out of the trigger mechanism.

saands

I like my 22/45 ... but I have heard that it is the luck of the draw ... some field strip easily and some just don't ... or maybe there is something to the engineering thing :) I'm humble enough to suspect that it is just that Ruger isn't too consistant here.

One note of caution ... there is a pin that goes through the bolt (perpendicular to the travel of the firing pin) that keeps the firing pin from contacting the edge of chamber when dry firing. Make TRIPLE sure that this doesn't fall out while you are swearing about how stupid you look holding the gun upside down while you re-assemble it! The steel that the receiver is made of won't stand a chance when you dry fire it the first time without the stop-pin ... it's a bummer ... I did it several years ago with a MarkII :(

Take care,
Bill

mussi

A gunsmith down here in Switzerland has invented Ruger MkII-Stripper.
It's actually a screwdriver where a hole was drilled into the blade so
he could hook the mainspring housing easily to open it, and a drift to
drive out the bolt stop pin. VERY classy.

The remainder of his Ruger MkII toolbox is for ClassIII stuff only
(here, we have them silenced - for precision work, we have
Haemmerli).

9x45

Battler, I have had my 22/45 for several years, and about 10,000 rounds. It's not my favorite gun,I only shoot it for Steel Challenge; thats the reason for the low milage. But, I have never field stripped it, nor do I see a reason to. No malfunctions to date, just lots of GunScrubber...