Stiff rack remedy?

keithdog

I don't know if this would help or not but if you have a gun with a stiff rack slide, would leaving the guns slide racked back and locked open help take out some of the stiffness over time? If so, how long would it take?

Scorch

I am going to make a few assumptions here. You are talking about a pump action rifle or shotgun. You are having trouble cycling the action. If these assumptions are correct, then no, leaving the action open will not make the action easier to operate. Call the manufacturer or talk to a competent gunsmith.

If, on the other hand, you are claiming that your gun has a gun rack that it is stored in and you want to leave the rack open, see a furniture maker.:D

keithdog

No, I'm talking about the SW Shield. It's not awful but it is a rather stiff gun to rack. It's got better after shooting it several times at the range, but when the arthritis in my left hand and wrist acts up, it's a bit tough. So I was thinking if the slide is kept locked back when in storage, maybe the compression of the spring would diminish the stiffness a bit over time.

Scorch

S&W Shields are tough to rack. They are small and have stiff recoil springs, just the nature of the beast. Leaving it open will not make it easier to cycle.

I have a number of customers who are experiencing difficulty due to arthritis or muscle/joint damage due to accidents or surgery. I typically point them towards a larger framed pistol like a Springfield XDs, Glock, FN, kimber, etc. The larger grip, larger slide, and weaker recoil spring helps cycle the gun easier.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...would leaving the guns slide racked back and locked open help..." Nope. Springs, the return/recoil spring in this case, do not lose temper from being compressed. Changing return/recoil springs can cause functioning issues, but that's all you can do. Wolff Springs makes 'em for reasonable money.
https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php
A larger framed pistol is not going to help difficulty due to arthritis or muscle/joint damage.

arquebus357

I like to add a bit of Tetra gun grease to my rails. I'm 81 and lack some of my former hand strength but I find the "slingshot" method to be the easiest for me to do. Neverrmind that it looks unprofessional :):). The hand wrapped over the slide method sometimes is very hard for me. Don't know why.

MislMan

Same racking issue for my wife and her Springfield Armory EMP. I removed the slide and took it to a welder. Had the welder weld on a 1/4" diameter x 1/2" length rod to the side of the slide near the rear of the slide. Had the end of the rod rounded for comfort. She uses this as a racking handle. Touched up the rod and weld joint with some cold blue from Brownells. Works very well and doesn't get in the way for IWB carry when I borrow it.