STI LS40 - what's a good price.

Skans

What's a good price on a good condition, used STI LS40? I see that Brazos sells them new for $892.

$892 is a good price. But, keep in mind that you will pay shipping as well as a transfer cost to your ffl (usually around $20). These usually add about 50-60 dollars to the price of the gun. Don't forget to factor that in when you are deciding between online and real time gun purchases.

Skans

Well, $892 is what they are selling them for new; I was wondering what a good price would be for a decent used one.

The best advice I can give you there is to check out gunbroker as well as blue book values, average the two of them together and you'll get a fair market value. It is very difficult to say the value of any weapon unless the condition is known.

zombieslayer

I handled an STI in .40 this weekend. I've heard on the net that they're high quality, but to be honest, it seemed really cheap and flimsy. Price was $725 used. The mags rattled badly when in the magwell, cheap looking finish, slide/frame fit was not very good. Maybe it was a lemon? Just throwing that out there because I like 1911's and I'm a fan of .40, but that gun didn't seem very well made to me.

Skans

I've handled an LS40 several times. The ones I've handled seemed to have a real nice tight slide to frame fit. They didn't seem flimsy at all. I didn't notice any excessive rattling from the magazine, but to be honest, I didn't really check for that.

The finish is a very practical finish - you are right, it is not pretty, but the machining seemed very nicely done. The controls were easy to access - basically it is a really small, slim .40 in something resembling a 1911 format. It seemed like a reasonably well made gun to me.

Prices for these things seem to be all over the board - so I was just wondering what you folks thought was a "good" price (not steal - I stopped looking for steals years ago) for an LS40 in really nice used condition.

zombieslayer

Someone needs to make an affordable EMP copy. On the STI- I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the gun, it was just oddly timed that the first time I held one was saturday at the local gunshow. Just my initial impressions.