STG44 clone finally coming... For a price

SC4006

So it appears as though we will finally have a Sturmgewehr 44 semi auto reproduction sold here in the US! Not only that, but it will be in the original 7.92x33 cartridge. I have been waiting for something like this for years.

Here is the link to the Article I read.

The only kicker is that it will retail at around $5000. Surely whatever it retails for will be better than the price tag, and trouble of finding and owning a real one, but I think they could still do better than that.

What do you guys think about this? I would really like to own one of these someday, but not for $5000. Maybe the price will go down someday.

Edit: Article states they will be selling an MP38 clone as well, it will be sold as a pistol. I forgot to mention that with all the excitement about the STG44.

Mosin-Marauder

The MP38 Looks like something I'd want (Need). STG-44 might bee to expensive to enjoy. I would be afraid to clean the thing let alone shoot it (for 5k :eek:).

RickB

There was an StG44 replica for sale in the U.S., eight or ten years ago, for about $5000.
When it was announced that they weren't going to import any more the price went up to $8000.
I think they're over $10,000, now.
I'll just be happy with my rimfire version.

Venom1956

tbh the real bummer for me is ammo. Idc if what it costs thats a one time thing. but feeding it so u can get your enjoyment out of it thats what really costs ya.

SC4006

There was an StG44 replica for sale in the U.S., eight or ten years ago, for about $5000.

Would that be the PTR44 mentioned in the article? I never knew there had been a similar rifle to this one imported in the past before I read the article.

SC4006

Quite surprisingly, my LGS actually has a decent supply of PPU 7.92x33. I don't recall the price, but at least ammo is out there.

I never saw the point of carrying that caliber. Extremely unlikely any customer walking in would have a firearm chambered in 8mm kurz. Maybe with new reproductions coming in soon they will actually find a use in stocking it, but even then I doubt the reproductions will be very popular.

Last edited:

RickB

Original StG44s showed-up in Syria, a couple of years ago.
I'm surprised some enterprising person didn't pack-up a few AKs and 100,000 rounds of ammo, and offer a swap?
If new rifles could be reengineered in a way that makes ATF happy, you'd think originals could be modified?

Skans

$5,000? Too expensive - I'm out. There's no reason they can't be made to sell in the $2,000 range and still generate a tidy profit. Also, I'd rather have them made in 7.62x39. Just my personal preference. They aren't full auto, so there's no reason for me to try and be some kind of purist about this.

SC4006

Oh I agree Skans, there has got to be a fairly large profit involved. If the Germans could mass produce (to some extent) real ones during ww2, I don't see why a replica could cost that much. I think about $2000 is the max I'd pay for a novelty rifle like this.

44 AMP

Staff
there has got to be a fairly large profit involved.

#1) this is why people do things like this. If there was only a tiny profit involved, most don't bother.

#2) while there may be a "large" profit in each individual unit, just how many do you think they are going to sell? "Niche" is the most generous word I think fits.

#3) They cannot be completely authentic reproductions of the historical gun and still comply with US law. So, besides the simply curious, the market is going to be people who want something as close to historically accurate as they can get, and still be legal. AND who have the disposable income for both the gun AND its ammo. (good to hear someone is making 7.92x33, it was a "dead" round for a long time).

based on the posts here (and a general guess) I don't think the market is very large. yes, I would love one. But, I won't be getting one, short of saving my pennies for several years (and assuming nothing more interesting or important comes up during that time, ;)).

And, really, when you think on it, with today's dollar being what little it is, and in an era where people drop $2k+ on a tricked out 1911 pistol, $5k for a "rare" rifle isn't really all that much in comparison.

And what does it say about us, when someone risks venture capital to make a gun that hasn't been made in decades, was NEVER on the civilian market, has really only a limited market appeal, and the most common comment on the news that you will be able to get one for (significantly) less than the price of a new car, is that it isn't "cheap enough!"???

Colt46

Collectible

Therefore, the price tag won't really be an issue for most.
Pretty cool reproduction though.

RickB

Also, I'd rather have them made in 7.62x39.

Won't fit. When the .22 rimfire from GSG was announced, there was a lot of, "If it were chambered in fill-in-the-blank I'd be interested", but what difference does cost or availability of ammo make, when you're feeding a $5000 rifle?
I suppose it's like the guy with expired license tabs on his Aston Martin; after buying the car, there's no money left for tabs!

Skans

while there may be a "large" profit in each individual unit, just how many do you think they are going to sell? "Niche" is the most generous word I think fits.

They'd sell a bunch at the right price. Even more than the GSG .22lr STG-44 which has been hugely successful!

RickB

So, if one of the 200 makers of AR rifles would just make StG44s instead, they'd be rich?
I always wonder how there could be one more maker of 1911-style pistols; how could it be more profitable to be one of 100 companies making essentially the same thing, rather than being the only company making something unique?
There's more money in having 1/100th of the 1911 market, than in having the entire Luger market.
Nobody will tool-up to make 20,000, $1500 StG44s, apparently.
But 500, $5000 Stg44s? All in!

Bill DeShivs

Original StG44s showed-up in Syria, a couple of years ago.
I'm surprised some enterprising person didn't pack-up a few AKs and 100,000 rounds of ammo, and offer a swap?
If new rifles could be reengineered in a way that makes ATF happy, you'd think originals could be modified?

They can't. They are still machineguns. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun.

Bill DeShivs

Oh I agree Skans, there has got to be a fairly large profit involved. If the Germans could mass produce (to some extent) real ones during ww2, I don't see why a replica could cost that much. I think about $2000 is the max I'd pay for a novelty rifle like this.

Maybe if you two talked to the makers nicely, they would just GIVE you one.
It never ceases to amaze me that people don't think anyone should make a profit. Or, that there is TOO MUCH profit! I assume if you were making these, you would just mark them up $50 over cost and sell them?
No- if you were ACTUALLY making them, you would mark them up to the maximum you could get, wouldn't you?
Or would you just want your "fair share?"

8MM Mauser

To me the MP40 clone mentioned here is much more interesting than the expensive STG44. An STG44 would be cool but an MP40 in 9MM? Heck yeah! The only bummer is that it comes default as a pistol because otherwise it would be an SBR, but in 9MM it will be perfectly controllable as a pistol.