STG 58 Carbine aka FN FAL variant

darogue1

Does anyone have information on these? Looking at buying one of these from Wholesale Guns & Ammo, INC Out of Central Islip NY. The have a 16.5 inch barrel with compensator and come with a 20rd magazine. They are built on a IMBEL receiver. I heard that these were good receivers. Price is $520 wholesale before dealer mark up and such. Would buy a package for rifle, mags, and ammo for about $600 prior to fees and such. Also heard theat parts can not come into the country because on Clinton? Maybe now is the time to buy? Any help that can be provided would help. I wish to thank those that helped with my USC and Garand decision. Won't buy either first one too expensive and second doesen't seem to be worth a darn. Thanks again---DAROGUE1

hollow point

Got mine this summer and love it.

Pros: Shoots great, easy to control while being very light, fairly accurate, cheap mags and good supply of surplus ammo. Ergonomics are good and the controls seem well thought out. Design is great, very practical.

Cons: Finish slightly mismatched in places, but that will be fixed a'la Gunkote in a few months! That's about all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, the parts ban sucks, but I am sure some enterprising people in the ole U.S. will start filling that order soon!

I can't say enough about the design of these rifles. I am notorious for asking "why?". Why did they do this instead of that? Why did they put that here instead of there? So far everything makes sense and fits very well in the overall scheme of this rifle. I am quickly becoming a fan!

Arizona Expert Arms

I bought a parts gun. Certainly nothing special. Then took it to Arizona Expert Arms and had them completely redo it. Changed some of the parts, refinished it, reworked it, added a muzzle break and a bipod. Beautiful work. Not cheap but money WELL spent. They have a web site.

Destructo6

For that price, I'd say buy it. If you have trouble with it or want some modifications, you could send it to Derek at Azex Arms or Arizona Response Systems.

Slick had ATF reinterpret some laws so that now parts kits must have both the receiver and barrel demilled (chopped up). The excuse is that they wanted to conform to the UN's restrictions on trafficing small arms and parts.

ma96782

I got mine from Wholesale (AkA: Burns Bros) anyway for the price I paid I thought it was a good deal.

Remember it's a parts gun, the ser # didn't match and the finish was kinda rough (won't win no beauty contests), the assembly was by Century. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the P.O.S. Centry rear stock.

It shot fine and I didn't have to change out any gas piston or play w/ the frt gas block or frt sight (other than to adjust it).

Come to think of it, THANKS TO KLINTON, I bought two guns (FAL and SAR-1) that I would not have otherwise purchased this year.

Aloha, Mark

P.S. I would rather get the 18" bbl than the 16" bbl, because of the muzzle blast from the 308W. That is of course of you don't already have a full length rifle.

[Edited by manzai on 12-28-2000 at 02:44 AM]

Hook_N_Bullet

Whats your opinion of Buying a Complete FAL from a company like Arizona Response Systems? It seems easier to buy the whole package than go thru the "Parts" process. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Dave

Destructo6

Hook, ARS is one of the premier FAL builders and does some of the refinishing work for HK-USA. They only build FALs on Imbel or DSA receivers, last I checked. You'd have a hard time going wrong with one of their rifles.

Jamie Young

Darogue1 what did you end up deciding on? I know this is an old post. Anyone want to say anything bad about a Carbine .308 rifle?

darogue1

Skipped on it and bought M1 carbine and mags ammo and such. For about the same price. Was going to bring it to the PA get together but the snow scared me a bit and girfriend was throwing a birthday party for me. She gave me money for a new toy:) If you know what I mean. Now...where is the next gun show?!?!! AHH yes Fort Washington expo center (PA){17&18 March} Oh kel-tec....any body else gonna go?

Count Glockula

Parts Gun

Check out http://www.fnfal.com all you could ever want to learn about the FAL. I have seen some of those kit guns that were nice and worked well but I have seen some that were junk. Bottom line is that it is a stab in the dark, sometimes you will get a good rifle and sometimes you will get a real lemon. If you want to spend a little more money, see if you can find a parts kit and receiver and send it off to one of the FAL smiths at the above site. All of them do great work. I just got mine back from Century Gun Works http://www.angelfire.com/nv/cgw/ (NOT CIA) and couldn't be happier. They did a fantastic job on my rifle.

Good luck

Jamie Young

I'm still undecided on what kind of FAL I'm getting. I've never fired one yet. I'm going to the Fort Washingtong show. What did you pay for your rifle COUNT GLOCKULA? I've heard a few people say the FAL has way too much muzzle blast in the Carbine version. I'm sure I'm getting an FAL and the longer I wait the More Money I'll have to spend.
There is going to be another PA get together within the next 2 months at an outdoor rifle range. They have a 50yd pistol and a 500yd rifle range.