Steyr Scout barrel replacement?

Battler

No, I do not (yet) have a Steyr Scout.

I'm just trying to get as much information about the rifle before considering purchase. . . however, as the Steyr Scout wars are available upon searching this forum, I am not trying to dredge up a discussion of its pros and cons.

I heard the barrel is mounted to the receiver in a non-conventional manner, and is hard to replace. Whether through wearing one out (yeah, that would probably take a while), or through some mishap, if one needed a new barrel, what would be the procedure?

Has anyone ever replaced an SS barrel, or know anyone who has?

Could a gunsmith do it? Can GSI do it? Or does the rifle have to go back to Austria? Or is it impossible?

Just something I would like to understand.

Thanks,
Battler.

The Jackelope

Sorry, no answer about the barrel, BUT...

I got my Scout 2 years ago for my birthday (yeah, my gal is the best...) and I LOVE the damn thing (really is great!), but...there is a problem...

I have now found out that about a THIRD of the rifles have a problem with the firing pin not hitting the primers hard enough to set the charge off. I had thought this was an occasional bad round that I had run into, but as time went on, I find that I am having more and more problems with it.

This week my friends and I went to the range, and about 2/3ds of the ammo I tried to put through my Scout WOULD NOT FIRE. I put the same ammo in my FAL and the stuff went off with every trigger pull, no problems.

I am deeply upset with this situation myself. I have to call GSI next week and see what they can do about this. I'm not saying that all Scouts are like this, but just a heads up. I still really like this rifle, but I wouldn't rely on it now.

The Jackelope